LegacyGT.com

Front diff and Transmission Case

Hi,

I got a question about front diff and transmission case for my 05 Legacy 2.5i NA.

A mechanic from a local reputable tuning shop is saying that my front diff is actually in the transmission case and therefore shares lubrication with ATF.

For that reason he said that front diff service is basically transmission fluid replace.

Is he correct? :confused:

I'm giving him all the benefit of doubt I could give since he's not just from any auto repair shop. Could he perhaps confuse my car for different Subaru model? Is there any Subaru model that has the front diff in the transmission case?

I've read DIY thread about replacing front diff fluid and in that thread, 75W90 fluid was used. I can't imagine using ATF-HP in differential.

As far as I know, the 5eat and 4eat that I think you have have a separate case for the front diff and automatic transmission.

I'll send you the service manuals in a PM

In the 5mt the front diff is in the same case and shares the 75w-90

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As far as I know, the 5eat and 4eat that I think you have have a separate case for the front diff and automatic transmission.

I'll send you the service manuals in a PM

In the 5mt the front diff is in the same case and shares the 75w-90

You are correct. 2 diffs, 1 tranny. Two different fluids. Front diff is open and not connected to tranny.

Archived