LegacyGT.com

Rattling in the dash SOLVED !!!

craesq

Ok, guys, I know many of you are like me and have a few rattles here and there in your LGT. Mine was to the point where I had to always have the stereo on. Well, I finally figured out what it was !!!

I was installing a boost gauge in my dash cubby and had to take the cubby out. It is very easy to do. Just get it started with a screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the dash) and then just pull it out. There are no screws or anything. When it is almost all the way out, just unclip the two trip computer wires.

What you will find, if your car is like mine, is that Subaru placed a thin metal sheet in between the trip computer and plastic cubby floor (probably to dissipate heat) but they did not secure it down!!! Believe it or not, it is just sitting there loose, you can just slide it out if you want.

I ended up unscrewing the trip computer and securing the metal screen down with some metal tape. I also zip tied anything I could see that was loose. Voila! The rattling is gone.

If you have annoying rattling that sounds like it is coming from the trip computer or CD changer, try this out.

Good luck, Chris

Wish you had some pics, i have a horrible rattle coming from the driver side vent up by the windshield.

That rattle is something else. There are a couple of threads with pics here on it, do a search. I took it o the dealer and it mostly fixed it. A piece of carboard "proped" b/w the dash and the windshield put a end to it once and for all.

Wish you had some pics, i have a horrible rattle coming from the driver side vent up by the windshield.

Go into the engine compartment and zip tie the 3 fuel hard lines together fairly tightly so they dont bang around on the firewall.

^^^

Yes!

I had this rattle for months and the dealer was great in digging around and fixing it. They mentioned that it was a vibrating wire in the engine bay near the firewall that was causing the problem. I thought it was the "Deer Killer plastic piece that needed drilling" rattle but they found it in the engine bay.

They obviously found it as the rattle has been completely gone for a month now, and could replicate it on command. Rev up to 3K rpm and hold it in traffic in third gear and then let off the gas... aggravating rattle near / at 3k rpm every time, near my left knee beside the steering wheel.

Try the fuel lines next to the driver's front strut tower, they rattle quite frequently. You can bend them out of the way. Very easy

This is for the very loud rattle that feels like it is coming from the left air vent. I zip tied them down like you said and it worked too! So, all my rattles are gone!

• 2 months later...
I have the same exact rattle (drivers side vent), and two dealerships couldn't figure it out...my fuel lines seem nice & tight in the engine compartment, any more ideas? Can someone post pics of the fuel lines, so I can make sure I'm checking the right flippin' things?? thanks!
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

My rattle from this area required a different fix. The thin metal sheet was stuck hard to the trip computer but I found the vents were loose in the vent assembly. Just tighten up the screws and reinstall, problem solved. I spent days pinning and sticking everything down until I found this.

Archived