LegacyGT.com

CQUARTZ sealant

This was a new product for me. I haven't really read too much about it, but I saw that they advertise 2 years of durability and scratch resistance improvement from swirls caused by washing up to 50%. Hmmmm... I've never really taken much stock in claims like that, but I have a customer with a brand new black car and he was worried about scratching it. His plan is not to drive it really all that often and certainly not in the rain or snow. So since it isn't going to get that dirty, he is probably just going to be using a quick detail spray and waterless wash products. I wanted to put something on the paint that would give him as much protection from swirls as absolutely possible.

I called my buddy Nick over at Autogeek and asked him what he thought about CQUARTZ. The stuff is kind of expensive considering you only get a 30ml bottle of it for like 50 bucks. (30ml is just a little over an ounce) I'm used to buying things in at least 16 ounce bottles, but 16 ounces of this stuff would cost nearly a thousand bucks, so I'm glad it is a small bottle. ;) Actually, the reason it is such a small bottle is because I doubt anyone could ever use 16 ounces of this stuff in a lifetime. I did a whole car with it and the volume barely went down half the size of one line of text on the label. I may have used a whole milliliter of this stuff, but I am thinking it was more like half of one. We are talking about 1/60th of an ounce to do an entire car. If this stuff will last for 2 years and I can get 60 coats out of the bottle, then it (technically) will provide 120 years of protection. Hmmmm.... lol The bottle says that it takes all 30ml to do one car. I'm not sure about how that would work. I can't imagine using the whole bottle on one car. That has to be a typo of some sort.

This is what the Autogeek website has to say about it. It is definitely a different type of animal.

I'm not going to wait for it to last 2 years though. It will get polished off twice a year (once in the spring and once in the fall) and possibly in the middle of the summer once in awhile if necessary. I rarely wait for products to just wear off before either applying more or removing them and starting over. I'll be interested to see how this one lasts though. As long as I can get four or five months out of it then I'll be happy.

The reason I'm reviewing this here is because I've been asked several times about what products to use to resist scratches. This product claims to reduce that risk as well as being an anti-static (helps with dust) and anti-acid & anti-calcium. This will help with waterspots from sprinklers and acid rain. There just seem to be a lot of benefits to using this product for one who may have to deal with those kinds of things on a regular basis. I'm thinking about coating the chrome on my motorcycle with it and seeing if it helps keep that looking good too.

You apply this much differently than a normal paste or liquid wax/sealant. This is something you wipe on in straight lines and then wipe it on again in a crosshatch pattern. You don't apply it in the karate kit 'wax on, wax off' style of waxing. You need to go pretty thin with it too. All you really need to do is make contact with the paint and you are good to go. Using more than that makes it really tough to buff off.

Let it dry for a good 20 or 30 minutes before going back over it and buffing it off. That will make it easier to remove. If it is still wet then you will get streaks. It will probably be dry after 15 minutes, but spend some time dressing your wheels or cleaning the glass while it is drying and give it some extra dry time.

After it buffs off the shine is pretty amazing. I'll have to get some pictures in the sun, but it was ridiculously shiny in a brightly lit white hangar. I know this isn't a Legacy, but it is the only thing I have to show this product off on right now. I'm not sure if I'll use this on my car since I really don't have any need of scratch protection, but the first time I get a black Legacy to try this on, I'll be sure to post lots of pictures. :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/DSCN5003.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/CamaroZL1/DSCN5004.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/CamaroZL1/DSCN5010.jpg

And just so you know, paint quality isn't getting any better. Check out the orange peel...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/CamaroZL1/DSCN4983.jpg

These pictures don't do it justice. Wait till I can get some outside in the sun. This is truly one of the glossiest products I've ever used. So if gloss is your goal, this is a great way to achieve it. You can still top that with another wax or sealant if you want a different look too. This is a ceramic sealant, so you are able to top it with an acrylic, polymer, or carnauba product after a day or so of cure time.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I bought this stuff.to use on mine when I detail. The reviews I heard are amazing. I plan on washing,.claying, m105 then m205. What other prep work.should I do to get the paint perfect before application????

I also plan and adding a Adams glaze of this then Adams Carnuba Wax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

This is definitely a product you apply by hand. I suppose you could use a buffer to remove it, but I always remove product by hand anyway. I just don't see where a machine speeds that particular process up very much anyway.

Other than it being ridiculously shiny, I don't really have too much other feedback. I will say it isn't as slick feeling as polymer sealants and carnauba waxes tend to be. I'm going to spray some Wolfgang deep gloss spray sealant on tomorrow and see if that slicks it up a bit. It just feels a touch grabby compared to what a freshly polished car should feel like. But it could be the product was curing still and needed more time to smoothen out. I'll see what it feels like tomorrow. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

I bought this stuff.to use on mine when I detail. The reviews I heard are amazing. I plan on washing,.claying, m105 then m205. What other prep work.should I do to get the paint perfect before application????

I also plan and adding a Adams glaze of this then Adams Carnuba Wax.

That sounds like adequate prep work to me. The product doesn't make mention of a cure time, so I would imagine you are ok to go ahead and top it with your Adam's products right away. I've been giving sealants 12 hours of cure time far too long to get with the program on these 'instant cure' type sealants out there these days. lol

Just remember to go thin with it. It will go on kind of heavy at first, so you have to spread that around quickly before it sets. It sets very very very quickly. By the time you get through with the car you will have a process figured out on how to apply it, but the first couple patches you work on will be the learning curve part. Watch the videos they have on YouTube and that helps a lot.

OCDETAILS BLOG

something interesting...

"use our Reload spray sealant to maintain the coat for longer lasting time" - but states CQuartz can last up to 2 years

States it cannot be removed by detergents and the ceramic nano particles create an extremely hard finish, but avoid using automatic car washes

Well then, I use the automatic car washes often because I live in the desert and a few days later there is a pretty good coating of dirt on my car (outside car). Yes I know those car washes can cause scratches in the clear coat and some uses harsh detergent

I may try it still...the 'hard' coating and shininess is very appealing to me:)

Thanks OCDetails for the write up:)

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived