LegacyGT.com

Need Help Choosing a Clutch Setup

The time has come that my stock clutch simply can't handle the power the car is putting out and it slips in 4th and 5th. I'm trying to make a decision on what to replace it with and to no surprise I am getting mixed opinions so I'm reaching out to you guys. I know a few local guys running a Spec Stage 3+ setup, one recently switched the stage 2 and they love both setups. When I called Cobb Surgeline to ask if they carry Spec/get their thoughts they said they haven't had the best of luck with the Spec clutches on the Subaru platform, go figure...

The car is putting down 309HP/330TQ to the wheels with a VF52, potentially looking at a bigger turbo down that road. It's not a daily driver but traffic in Seattle sucks so I want something that is moderately streetable that handles the performance. That being said, I am looking at a few different options:

1. Spec Stage 2 or 2+ Clutch with a Lightweight Flywheel.

2. Competition Stage 2 Clutch

3. Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Disc Clutch.

I've done some digging on the forums and found what's available, but I want to hear any comparisons between these options or general reviews/experiences. So let's hear opinions!

I had great luck and performance out of my Spec Clutches. Call them and they will tell you they recommend a Spec 2+ for the 5mt's.

Do not put a Spec 2 in the car, it will not hold the power, mine lasted only 50,000 miles.

I've had the lwfw and now have a OEM smfw in my wagon. I don't see any real difference between the two FW's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had great luck and performance out of my Spec Clutches. Call them and they will tell you they recommend a Spec 2+ for the 5mt's.

Do not put a Spec 2 in the car, it will not hold the power, mine lasted only 50,000 miles.

I've had the lwfw and now have a OEM smfw in my wagon. I don't see any real difference between the two FW's.

That's good to hear, that makes 3 LGT owners who have personally vouched for the Spec 2+ setup so I'm definitely leaning that way.

The 2+ does make a noise every now and then, when letting it out in 1st gear. It a squeal that last about 1/2 a second, that is normal for the carbon kevlar material, I called and asked about it.

I find the 2+ to be not much stiffer then the OEM clutch in my Spec B.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The 2+ does make a noise every now and then, when letting it out in 1st gear. It a squeal that last about 1/2 a second, that is normal for the carbon kevlar material, I called and asked about it.

I find the 2+ to be not much stiffer then the OEM clutch in my Spec B.

Good to know, I've learned to except some level of noises from a modified car.

That's great, I love the feel of the OEM clutch in the Spec B.

I'm running the Spec stage 3+ And their lwfw on the RBP wagon. It'll hold the power for sure but will probably konk out on you after about 40k miles of use and it is a little chattery with stiff pedal feel. I think the 2+ would be perfect for your application.

Good to know as I will be in a similar boat looking for something to put in when I do the the 6spd swap, was told to go with oem, but I'm not sure the OEM would hold up, as my stage2 competition clutch is now slipping at stage 2 power levels in 4th & 5th. It was competely fine a few weeks ago on stage 1 ota map

6mt swap, make sure you look at available clutches for that set up, STi 6mt or a Spec B 6mt ? Or call Spec Clutch and see what they have for a Spec B if your going that route.

Cobb logic says anything they don't sell is junk and they won't tune you if you buy it.

OEM 6MT clutch is holding my 423whp/390wtq no problem, but I don't launch the car due to the R160 in back

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Would the spec 2+ be ok with 400/400 for no launch driving? My mechanic is suggesting stage 3 but it sounds like that would be without comfort.

I would go stage 3+. The stage 2+ is only rated at 375-400 crank.

I would go stage 3+. The stage 2+ is only rated at 375-400 crank.

You made it sound like its no fun to drive with its stiffness and noise.

This guy likes the comp clutch stage 3 which is what my shop quoted me for. I'll probably go that way.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/competition-clutch-stage-3-review-240968.html

But... after searching ebay xtd clutches which are super cheap, a lot of people get them work ok as long break in is done right.

Would the spec 2+ be ok with 400/400 for no launch driving? My mechanic is suggesting stage 3 but it sounds like that would be without comfort.

Talk with Spec Clutch, give them a call or email.

Ran a ACT stage1 HD in the wagon for 30k mi. At similar power level with no issues and tons of track time. No 4K clutch dumps however, not really my style. Pedal was noticeably stiffer than stock but not unruly. Running an Exedy stage 1 HD on my 6MT and like it fine so far. Very similar feel to the ACT. Cobb/Surgeline prefers them and recommended it, (like any tuner, they will have an opinion on what they like to use parts wise, can't fault them for that). As long as your not drag racing you'll see that most companies stage 1 or 2 set ups are more than robust enough for your numbers. Over clutching the car for your HP/TQ goals will only lead to less drivability and a sore left leg :)

I'm running the Spec stage 3+ And their lwfw on the RBP wagon. It'll hold the power for sure but will probably konk out on you after about 40k miles of use and it is a little chattery with stiff pedal feel. I think the 2+ would be perfect for your application.

Haha yeah, you were one of the locals I was referring to in the original post. I'm definitely leaning towards the spec stage 2+. Going to call spec to ask about their recommendations at current power levels and potentially higher output in the future.

Ran a ACT stage1 HD in the wagon for 30k mi. At similar power level with no issues and tons of track time. No 4K clutch dumps however, not really my style. Pedal was noticeably stiffer than stock but not unruly. Running an Exedy stage 1 HD on my 6MT and like it fine so far. Very similar feel to the ACT. Cobb/Surgeline prefers them and recommended it, (like any tuner, they will have an opinion on what they like to use parts wise, can't fault them for that). As long as your not drag racing you'll see that most companies stage 1 or 2 set ups are more than robust enough for your numbers. Over clutching the car for your HP/TQ goals will only lead to less drivability and a sore left leg :)

Thanks for the feedback, definitely helpful!

I am also running act right now and I'm at 338 to the wheels on a mustang dyno. I had a spec 2+ and i personally prefer the act. Side note I'll have my act clutch and oem flywheel for sale in the near future due to installing an sti 6 spd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

same boat here, as I only had 30K mi. on my ACT when I pulled it for the 6MT swap last month. Sitting here in my empty Exedy box. I should sell it for a case of micro brew :)

:cool:

That is exatly what I am trying to figure out. It is for a 08 spec B 6spd for reference.

Check out this thread,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spec-b-6mt-throw-out-bearing-261306.html

I only have experience with Exedy and now Southbend clutches. I drove the Exedy for about a year before it began to slip. Don't take that as a test of durability since it was installed by the previous owner. Right now I love my Southbend Stage 2 Endurance (going on a little over a year), it is way easier to drive than the Exedy was. Then again the Exedy was on a lightweight flywheel and the Southbend I installed along with an STI single mass flywheel. Sorry for the long rant, I daily the Spec B as well so take that into account.

You made it sound like its no fun to drive with its stiffness and noise.

This guy likes the comp clutch stage 3 which is what my shop quoted me for. I'll probably go that way.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/competition-clutch-stage-3-review-240968.html

But... after searching ebay xtd clutches which are super cheap, a lot of people get them work ok as long break in is done right.

You live near lots of hills? I do. If not you'll be fine with the 3+.

Archived