LegacyGT.com

where to place a floor jack?

I have an 01 wagon and want to place jack stands under it....upon looking under it there does not seem like there is a lot of solid places to use the floor jack...what do you guys recommend? thank...garth

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oops, I guess I shouldn't have used the frame rails then :(

Isn't the pad on the front crossmember obstructed by the lower engine cover anyway?

Nope, the plastic skid plate is just in front of it.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

So it's really OK to jack up the rear diff? I see it's held in there with rubber bushings and they really start to flex when loading up the diff with a jack.. like one of them might tear. It seems "iffy" but commonly done.

These are the recommended jack points specified in the Subaru service manual. If Subaru says it's ok, that's good enough for me. :)

Doesn't matter if Subaru recommends it or not, lifting by the whole rear end (approx. 1800 lbs) by a single point on the differential is highly unstable. Maybe in an emergency, but doing any sort of work on the car and you're asking for trouble. I would never get under a car jacked up in that location.

Doesn't matter if Subaru recommends it or not, lifting by the whole rear end (approx. 1800 lbs) by a single point on the differential is highly unstable. Maybe in an emergency, but doing any sort of work on the car and you're asking for trouble. I would never get under a car jacked up in that location.

He wasn't talking about jacking it up by the diff and roll under the car with only that as support. You would still use jack stands, but by using the differential you get the whole rear end up at once, not just one side at a time.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I always used it because I have one of those titanic Craftsman steel floor jacks. If I want to put a jackstand under each pinch weld, I have to jack the car up about 18" away from the pinch weld itself and I didn't know if that was good or not. Now I just jack up the rear diff. and support the two rear side jack points with jackstands, then jack up the front of the car using the jack point just to the rear of the plastic skid plate (my jack just barely fits up there, but it works), and support the two front side jack points with jackstands.

I can't get my floor jack in far enough to grab the center lift point behind the plastic skid plate in the front of the car so I have to jack up one side at a time and put the jack stands in. Its a pain in the butt.

i dunno about you guys, but when i rack up the rear end, i do it one side at a time, and i use the round tubing that comes out to the side, right in front under the rear wheels.. it doesnt' seem to squish that much when loaded, and it's solid.

and the front, i use the jack pads.

Good thread. I was stationed in Korea for a year and stored my ole '98 on jack stands for a year and used the rear diff and used the wrong point up front and bent something under there and then decided to take the car to Subaru and have someone mo better trained than I show me where to do it. That worked.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested just using cinder blocks. HA HA.

Archived