LegacyGT.com

Double White Sludge. WHAT DOES IT MEAN???

Sure, but also lots of long trips.

Is there any way to clean that stuff out? The hose looks like it goes straight into the crankcase, so I assume the whole engine is just full of sludge. I guess there isn't too much I can do apart from a rebuild unless sea foam might help, but there is so much gunk I doubt it.

We had a truck with the Chevrolet 4.3 in it. It had a leaking intake mani gasket so it would get coolant in the crankcase. As the coolant cooked out of the crankcase it plugged the pcv system up. The engine itself was pretty clean but the pcV system looked bad. Something similar can happen when the engine has excessive blow by or a sticky pcv valve the oil hangs out in there and condenses and gets mixed with condensed water. I cleaned the hoses and unions out with brake cleaner. I would say that its not a representation of your engine being sludged up. If the car ever had a headgasket go out slowly and the PO just ran it for awhile... that would do it. And a mechanic isnt going to clean that out... it might take hours.

Well I just replaced the PCV like a month ago because Subaru said it was "leaking" whatever that means. However, the one I took out still seemed fine (it was gummy, but shaking it sounded like it worked fine). I suppose there is always the possibility that things have been this way for the past 100,000 miles since the head gaskets went, because back then we drove the car around for a year or two with that issue before getting it fixed.

i cant see a picture from your 1st post but i think i know what your talking about. just some off white bubbly foam under the oil filler cap? Your fine just the colder weather making some condensation. I saw the same thing on her jeep and thought for the worst too. :cool:

i cant see a picture from your 1st post but i think i know what your talking about. just some off white bubbly foam under the oil filler cap? Your fine just the colder weather making some condensation. I saw the same thing on her jeep and thought for the worst too. :cool:

Nope. These are some of the hoses coming off of the block that vent gases from the crankcase. The hoses are about, |------------| big in diameter, but are more like |XX|----|XX| big because of the amount of solidified crud (yeah, it flaked off when I scraped them out) with a layer of brown goop and white slime, similar to half-condensed milk on top, lol.

its the PCV valve hose T connection that im picking up tonite. one goes from the pcv at the intake to the top of the T, the bottom of the T goes to case and the offside goes to the intake. 3/4" to case, 5/8" to intake and 1/2" to the intake. mine is pretty clean, despite being older than my kids, but the hoses were solid and need replaced.

If you had cooler-temp condensate gunk up your PCV (even for a short while), then the feeder pipes would also back up. The fact that the PCV is "rattling" doesn't necessarily mean that it was free-flowing.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If you can flush some Berryman carb cleaner/or even MAF cleaner into those hoses, it'll flush that crap completely out of the hoses.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The only thing, from my experience you should be concerned about:

WHITE sludge usually means there is still a moisture problem. I would keep an eye on it. Black/brown/rust sludge indicates a previous moisture problem. If its flowing good enough to expel the water now, you may be home free, who knows.

Well now that I've cleaned the hoses out (had to scrape them using a kebab stick) I guess I'll just drive around for a while and check them again later on and see if there is still a white sludge issue. Hopefully I got all the giant flakes out and I don't end up with hardened flakes of crap falling back into the crankcase...

Aft in the engine to clean it? Never heard of doing this and I've been a mechanic for 15 years. Now running just straight diesel instead of oil for about 5 mins at idle will clean it out really good. IF YOU RUN DIESEL DO NOT REV THE ENGINE OR DRIVE IT! Just run it at idle for no longer then 10 mins.

ive head of jeep guys taking sludge out by filling their crank case with diesel and manually turning the oil pump. Turning on the engine seems a little sketchy to me. you can always get a uoa done and see whats going on with your engine. i think you can get one for around $25

The dipstick oil is fine, so it's not in there. Replacing the oil with diesel sounds spooky. I know it wouldn't affect the metal parts, but I wonder what it would do to the already old and leaky seals and gaskets...

And what would having a UOA done tell me about the car? Things like "there is coolant in your oil," or, "this isn't oil, it's dragon's blood?"

the viscosity at temp and cooler check for wear metals, insoluble, water what additives are present in your oil. Im not so sure if they can tell you if it is dragons blood but it will tell you if the oil is fine for service in your engine. black stone labs is a popular place to get a test there are other labs too.

Archived