LegacyGT.com

Coolant system. Not sure what is going on

Okay so when I turn the car off I get sucking sounds, like it is pulling in air, from the area of the surge tank. Along with this is gurgling in the same area and a bubbling of air in the expansion tank. I know the bubbles are usually an indicator of a head gasket failure, but the air sucking in lead me to believe otherwise. I'm just not real sure where to start. Any thoughts?

I bought the car at 123k with a rebuilt motor and new turbo from where the dealership owners kid was driving around with a blown turbo and cracked the ring lands on the pistons. I'm not at 129k. I also put a new radiator in a couple of thousand miles ago.

You need to jack up the right front corner of the car and remove the turbo tank cap and start the car with the heater on high. Watch the air in the tank, top off as needed. Squeeze the hoses too.

I like Peak Global or Prestone, my new ej257 has some of both in it.

Also check the coolant a few times a year, top off as needed. I have two gallons of Prestone 50/50 in the shed. I mixed one full strength bottle with 50% water.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
Any news on this one? Mine is doing the same thing...just had the headgaskets replaced, and it's still doing it. Not happy...

With a bleeder can attached to the turbo resi are you getting bubbles while idling? If you are you have an HG leak.

You need to jack up the right front corner of the car and remove the turbo tank cap and start the car with the heater on high. Watch the air in the tank, top off as needed. Squeeze the hoses too.

I like Peak Global or Prestone, my new ej257 has some of both in it.

Also check the coolant a few times a year, top off as needed. I have two gallons of Prestone 50/50 in the shed. I mixed one full strength bottle with 50% water.

I'd also recommend using a radiator quik fill bucket on top of the reservoir while doing this procedure.

I pulled the TMIC off so I could get in there, found and fixed three leaks in the rubber lines around the surge tank. There is another line that is still leaking, it doesn't even have a clamp on it...down wedges between the bell housing, block, and up pipe. I'm going to have to pull the up pipe to get to it, but I didn't have gaskets the other day. So I'm still getting the bubbles but they are a lot less than they were. So I still don't know for sure that I don't have a HG issue, but I'm betting that I don't.

Every leak was caused by those squeeze type hose clamps. Replaced them all with screw type. And my surge tank was also low on coolant. Fixed that too.

With a bleeder can attached to the turbo resi are you getting bubbles while idling? If you are you have an HG leak.

Nope...no bubbles. Just the crazy gurgling while the car is in motion and also crappy heat production inside the car. Some other threads have recommended changing both radiator cap and turbo tank cap, and that should alleviate the issue?

I'm having the same issues with the heater core having the bubbling sound, I just tried rebleeding the the system again a few days ago and still have it. I'm thinking it could be the cheap caps sucking in air, since I bought them from an auto part store. Going to order 2 OEM caps to see if that fixes the issue.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived