LegacyGT.com

Getting some odd noises, need help

I was getting some "clunks" in my 98 Legacy GT wagon that were very random. Didn't think much of it... until yesterday.

As I was driving along, I noticed that the noise was coming every time I'd accelerate OR when I let my foot off of the gas pedal (auto trans, btw).

Also, when I was coasting along, I started to hear some squeaking/squealing. The braking didn't have an effect on the noise, so I was assuming the issue was related to either suspension or a mount of some sort.

If I hit a bump, it wasn't making any sort of odd noise just at that moment (like a ball joint or bad rattle from a bunk bushing). It seemed related mostly to the torque from the engine/trans/etc.

Is there anything jumping out to the tech-minded people reading this?

If I do go looking for problem spots, any suggestions where to start or what to look for?

120k on the car, AT, Legacy GT.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Sounds like a universal joint to me. Get under the car and see of there is excessive play in the drive shaft. If there is then its a universal joint. The bad part is I believe you have to change the whole drive shaft instead of just the u joint.

Archived