LegacyGT.com

Input please on my Learning View

BigTDogg MA

I wanted to start this thread rather than hijacking INVAR's even though it's the same topic.

So here's the deal:

2005 LGT 5MT

107000 miles

Catless STI UP with EGT bung custom welded in.

Cobb catted DP

Apex'i dry panel filter.

Stock tune

I haven't got tuned yet, but pulled some screenshots before clearing my CEL. A P0420 is normal for a 05 with a catless UP, right? These are taken in chronological order.

Learning%252520View_SS_A2WC522N_2011-09-10%25252011%25252001%25252045.jpg

Learning%252520View_SS_A2WC522N_2011-09-10%25252018%25252040%25252052.jpg

Learning%252520View_SS_A2WC522N_2011-09-12%25252008%25252025%25252015.jpg

My IAM stays at 1, and I have no red in the cells, so I just want to be sure this LV is reading and working correctly. I got on it a bit in a tunnel, and could have sworn I heard some pinging, but everything looks clean :confused:. By "get on it" I mean gave it about 50% throttle from 2500 to 4000 RPM. I still don't want to go boom, but I want to see if it's detecting knock correctly.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought you were going to go with a temp Stage 2 until you heard from Infamous?

I'm a pussy :lol:

I don't want to mess with stuff in the hex file and go boom. My IC isn't reinforced yet either.

I'm most likely going to cancel and go with a local guy who doesn't have as many clients to manage. I'm sure Infamous is good, probably even great and all, but he should hire a hot college chick to handle his customer service.

or take on less work and deliver customer service to existing clients.

This has been discussed at length. There isn't enough or a market to just tune LGTs as a full time job and make ends meet. he does it as a side gig and who knows how busy he is with his other job.

This has been discussed at length. There isn't enough or a market to just tune LGTs as a full time job and make ends meet. he does it as a side gig and who knows how busy he is with his other job.

Understandable, but AFAIK, he also does other Subies. He could take the first 30 minutes of his afterwork time and bang out one line emails to clients. Just sayin.

Also been discussed that tuning IS his full time job/only job now. He tunes a lot more cars than just LGTs...

• 7 months later...

So this is the LV I pulled this morning. CEL on with flashing cruise. I'm not sure if it was caused by a faulty remote start (cranked for 3 seconds but didn't fire, automatically tried again 15 seconds later and fired right up), but it drove fine. Reset the code after pulling this, tried to do a log but it didn't record. Kinda like the time I hit that hole in one on a par 5 :lol:

Learning%2520View_SS_A2WC522N_2012-05-04%252007%252050%252029.jpg

So thoughts? :confused:

big air leak at idle. recommend a boost leak test. the air leak is bad enough that the cyl is misfiring(due to lean unmetered air entry)could be intake manifold gasket or something else. quickest and easiest way to pinpoint where the problem is is to BL test it and listen for where the air hisses out. Berto can do this for you too. other than that the rest of it looks fine. but it's pretty clear that it's an issue only at idle. + a/f correction numbers indicate the ECU has learned to add fuel since the A/F's are not in target range, adding fuel would mean that you are running leaner than before, thus an unmetered air entry to the system.

the inlet is, if i recall correctly, 2 1/4". you can go to home depository and find a pcv cap, tap a hose air fitting into it, a cylindrical spacer, and a black rubber reducer to stretch over the inlet, clamp em tight, and pressurize! literally, any way possible to fit a bike hose or air tool hose fitting sealed to the inlet, air tight, is all you need.

I already have one of these:

http://www.boostpro.net/images/tester2.jpg

So I just need to make an adapter to the ID of the LGT intake. I may do that this weekend.

5 PSI a good limit for BLT on LGT?

supreme. fwiw, i pressurize to 5-10psi and then let the needle drop and listen. IMO no need to jack the psi to boost levels. You'll hear the check valve(i think?) piece buzz while building pressure, it'll go away as you keep pressurizing. you can always plug some ports if you want but imo, leaving the system as is is the best way to determine leaks in the vac lines/manifold lines, just don't pressurize it too high as it put positive crankcase pressure in the case and the oil seals do not like that. leave the oil fill cap on but be weary of what pressure you're putting in the system

Sorry for the thread jack (you may have have also seen this in the BNR thread). Some comments on this LV output please? '05 LGT 5EAT, bnr16g, injectors, fuel, APv1 tune.

Bad idle/stumble/stalling at times. Am going to look at MAF next, and maybe clean battery terminals if they need it..

1847064781_LearningView_SS_A2WC510C_2012-05-04194246.jpg.9615256a736c9495cbfa7323cea8362c.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack (you may have have also seen this in the BNR thread). Some comments on this LV output please? '05 LGT 5EAT, bnr16g, injectors, fuel, APv1 tune.

Bad idle/stumble/stalling at times. Am going to look at MAF next, and maybe clean battery terminals if they need it..

Did this just start? Did you get gas someplace new? Looks similar to what I saw the one time I filled up with bad or mis-marked 93 octane.

Looking at the other thread, your have a BNR16G... and I'm assuming the Stage 2 supporting mods? (DP, UP)?

If so, I'm wondering why your tuner didn't rescale the learning tables. A final column of 1.60+ really doesn't tell us a whole lot and covers a pretty huuuuuuuuge range. A typical stage 2 doing about 18PSI will have a cap of about 3 load, sometimes going higher in cold temperatures, as high as 3.20.

edit: Just realized that the above doesn't really help a whole lot with your idle/stall issues, but still somewhat important to know. You have learned knock all over the place that would be worth looking into.

Did this just start? Did you get gas someplace new? Looks similar to what I saw the one time I filled up with bad or mis-marked 93 octane.

Today is the first time I have done any logging. I have run this tune for just over 2 years on a bnr16g, gutted up/dp, 650cc injectors, walbro.

Everything else stock (TMIC, intake, etc).

We only get 91 here in CA, but the car was tuned for that.

Archived