LegacyGT.com

Hard Shifting, somewhat of a "knock"

trailblaze

i have a 05 LGT with the 5EAT tranny.

when it's cold it "kicks"hard into 2nd and 3rd gears while up-shifting. once the tranny warms up it's not a noticeable. when it shifts hard, it also makes a "clunk/ bang" noise. this also happens when down shifting into 1st, at any and all temps.

i've got 45k on it and will plan on dropping the tranny pan and then refilling with what ever oil i'm supposed to use.

do you think it's just in need of a fluid change, or could it be a mount/ bushing?

The hard shifts sounds normal, until the trans warms up a bit. My first few shifts in the morning are like that. When it's really cold it takes a couple seconds at 2.5Krpms before it will go to 2nd. Perfectly normal. The noise you are hearing might not be. Hard to say without hearing it, but I do know that any auto trans, not fully warmed up, will make some odd noises when it shifts. What RPM's are you running when it's doing this. I keep it under 3K, till the car warms up a bit...not really good to beat on it while it's cold.

Oh, and the downshift to first, what speed are you doing it at. Much over 15mph and it will feel pretty hard....

i try to keep it around 3 k when up shifting while cold. it's an auto, so it all depends on how hard i'm on it given if i need to accelerate fast or not.

the clunk seems more like an internal tranny "bang" when it hits 2nd gear.

for the downshifts.... it makes the same clunk noise. i don't know how fast i'm going... i'll pay attention next time... it's when ever the auto feels like down shifting.... so probably around 10 mph.

• 6 months later...

Go easy on the car till the fluid is warm. Avoid having to accel that fast till everything has had a chance to warm up a bit and you will do the tranny a big favor. From the sounds of it its just normal operation of a cold tranny.

The clunk on downshift is normal as well. At least normal to me cause mine does it. Though mine isn't as much of a clunk as a "bump" you can feel while rolling from 20mph down when it shifts 2 ~ 1.

• 3 months later...
I have noticed the same issue. Noticed it more when they did a reflash. I had my tranny fluid changed, and it's still there. Mine happens when I first drive it, and once it gets to 40 it kicks.

If you're going 40mph before the 2-3 upshift, then you are driving to hard, with the fluid too cold, and yes its going to kick hard.

well.. it's been a while since i posted but it's still doing it last time i drove the subi

i've actually been driving my jeep lately.. i'll ask the wife if it still kicks

i understand the cold fluid thing... but mine has a hard downshift too after it's plenty hot enough (20 mins driving)....dont notice the upshift knock as much when warm... but it still does it slightly.

Ditto, get the same thing when it's cold. The first couple shifts (1-3) after starting in this weather, and it feels like a mule is sitting behind my seat. Once it warms up, I've got to make an effort to recreate it (but I can...)

Just aggressive driving in "D" (no sport, no manumatic), and I can get the tranny to bang on an upshift (slam the gas down, then at the top of the rev, let off a little bit, then hit it again), pretty regularly. I've also got a tranny-cooler, and check the fluid fairly often... no signs of any issues (bought a used 5eat w/ 60xxx miles, kinda paranoid about it).

I think it's just 5EAT goodness... it's not a bug, it's a Feature!

• 11 years later...

I’m currently having the same issue on my legacy ‘09 3.0L. i have changed the transmission fluid more than once but it still kicks hard when shifting from 2 to 3 gear. has anyone of you found the issue:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, max_bobby said:

Hey Wade,

If I remember correctly it was doing that.  Once they fixed the torque converter, it was all good.  

Oh ok so mine is auto and after I change gear I let my foot off the peddle and it gives a big thump/jerk like someone hit me at the back 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, max_bobby said:

Hey Wade,

Mine is an automatic as well.  It was super annoying, and frustrating.  It was not a cheap fix, but I have unhealthy attachment to my leggy had to fix her. 

Oh ok so you were doing the same thing az me letting the peddle go like a manual then a thump from the rear after it changed I'm thinking to take it in to subaru but I don't want them to give me a wrong problem

Could be the VB, could be the TC, could be more than a few things.  Similar instances are a starting point.  But true diagnosis is required.  As the cars have aged tech has changed and not every dealership has the tools to properly diagnose and repair a 5EAT anymore.  SSMII tools are becoming more rare and are needed to properly connect to the 5EAT TCU.

• Like 1