LegacyGT.com

WTF!!! Rust in my brand new paint!?! What should I do?

This is a brand new Satin White Legacy GT with about 200 miles on it. Sunday, I washed it to get ready for a good clay job, polish, wax, etc.. I noticed some spots and thought 'no biggie' they clay will get it. Well some spots are definitely not coming out, even when I clay it. I took some Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish to it and it doesn't do much.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Will the dealership even do anything to fix it? I really don't want to take it to them and hear them say "Oh we'll buff it out for you." That's not gonna fly.

Here are some pictures. The spots are small, I'm mainly worried that this will become a bigger issue down the road.

http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/15640/2003553446551745000_rs.jpg

http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/15640/2003512444300972886_rs.jpg

My silver LGT had these all over. Clay takes them right out. I had scrubbed and scrubbed with other things and was certain it wasn't anything on the surface, but I was wrong.

Not to jack the thread but would the Clay remove any small debris in the front of the hood and the front bumper that I am having a hard time getting off? It looks like small white specs. From a distance you can't notice it.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

The rust spots are not a paint defect, it is small pieces of metal that got onto the paint and began to rust. Possibly from being shipped by rail or possibly just from industrial fallout in your area.

A "good" claying will take it out.

what sucks if that it's rail dust - then I bet more and more spots start showing up.

My coworker had a white Scion TC, a couple of weeks after he bought it he gave it a good wash and noticed these rust spots over the entire back side of his car.

• 1 month later...
This is a brand new Satin White Legacy GT with about 200 miles on it. Sunday, I washed it to get ready for a good clay job, polish, wax, etc.. I noticed some spots and thought 'no biggie' they clay will get it. Well some spots are definitely not coming out, even when I clay it. I took some Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish to it and it doesn't do much.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Will the dealership even do anything to fix it? I really don't want to take it to them and hear them say "Oh we'll buff it out for you." That's not gonna fly.

Here are some pictures. The spots are small, I'm mainly worried that this will become a bigger issue down the road.

I have this exact same thing on my SWP LGT. What ever ended up happening with yours? Did you take it to the dealer? What did they say? I'm debating on taking mine in next week for this same issue. I've got these dots on just about every panel of the car.

Go Cardinals!

Agreed, I have an 06 SWP as well, with same issues. I was CRAZY mad when they started to appear, thought that going a month in between waxes had screwed myself over.

Hopefully it's just rail dust, ill try and clay it and get back to you all.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

• 1 month later...

Archived