LegacyGT.com

2.2L engine problem ...

I bought a 99 Legacy L wagon 2.2L last winter , and today my car cannot start anymore ....So here is my story ...

This morning i drove the car and it have no problem , engine work fine and no special noise , oil level is good , check engine (P0440 and knock sensor ) . Then i went home for few hours . At night i went out and i start the car ....engine got some wired sound ...it is loud ...not knocking sound ...it sound like it got a cat run into the engine ....not joking , so i shut the engine off and check oil level , no leak . Then i tried to start the engine again , and it doesn't start anymore , engine crank but it don't start . Engine got 179xxxkm

Do anyone have this problem before ?

Another question , if timing belt is broken , will the piston hit on the valve ? Last owner changed the timing belt at 100000km

nope, the 2.2 is non-interference, so you won't bend any valves if your belt did snap. I'd imagine that if it sounds like it's struggling to crank but kind of priming, then your belt should be fine. if it just sounds like the motor is turning the flywheel, then you probably broke the belt on it. hmm...

it definitely is non interference. yeah just pop off one of the timing covers and see to make absolute sure that it was the belt; if it is, make sure you get a new belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, and maybe some rollers while you're down there.

Archived