LegacyGT.com

NoVA cell service and phone choices

PGT

So, Nextel officially sucks. I was meeting hutru01 at the Target in Reston last night to give him my stereo gear and my i530 had no signal. Thought it was just the parking lot or something. Well, for almost the whole drive home to Leesburg, I had nothing. I was running late from when I had told my wife I'd be home and wanted to call and let her know. Finally got signal at Belmont Ridge Rd along the Greenway :mad: I passed two towers along the way.

I'm done with craptastic service, half-ass data networks, and overpriced handsets. So, what next? Verizon seems the most competent. The phones are up to date and affordable, dare I say cheap through Amazon.com.

Looking at the new Motorola KRZR or LG 'Chocolate:

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/med/mot_krzr.jpg

http://cache.vzw.com/images_b2c/phones/med/lg_chocolate_cherry.jpg

I've always been partial to Motorola phones after being disappointed by Nokia models. All I care about - speakerphone, bluetooth, > 1mp camera, and good battery life.

Suggestions from insiders? :icon_mrgr

I just got the KRZR last week and love it so far. Thought about getting the chocolate before I tried it in the store. I didn't like the touchscreen that the chocolate uses. The KRZR is more user friendly IMO.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Try Sprint, I'll hook you up with a deal. You can return it in 30 days if you do not like it.

There is a new Samsung M610: 2MP camera, micro SD card slot for you music!

what are the details? PM is ok. :icon_mrgr

Sprint is nextel...they Are horrible around here. Avoid the RaZr at all costs. Im on my second and its on its way out. Junk. I think its time to avoid motorola products. My wifes motorola is a POS too. They always seem to have bad charging ports.

IMO sprint started to go downhill when they merged with Nextel. I had them for several years and the service overall, everything from cust. support to signal to plans, went right in the toilet after.

I switched to verizon and couldn't be happier. Service is excellent everywhere for me. The only downside to verizon is some of the phones. They lock a lot of features, but most of them can be worked around by modding the phone. I just wish i could use the phone over-seas when i travel for work, but whatever. I'd rather take a crap gsm phone for use there, than deal with a bad network at home but a phone which will work everywhere.

Stuck with verizon, this is what I got:

http://samsung.com/Products/MobilePhones/Verizon/images/a930_web_md.jpg Samsung A930

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I know each market seems to be different but around her sprint is horrible. I work for a real estate company and alot of my tenants have sprint. I couldn't count how many times the calls don't go thru. MY friend has them and has nothing but problems with their billing as well. Lets face it they all pretty much suck in one way or another. I have had them all and have had problems with them all. I now have cingular and so far have been the best except for the phones. We just got rid of over 50 nextels at work. If they spent half as much money on fixing their system as they waste no Nascar we may have a winner.

P.S Anyone leaving nextel that misses the quick connect , cingulars is't too bad. I have three phones and my work phone is quick connect. I like some of the features.

KRZR better than chunkolot and RAZRv???

Still (and it was a VERY hard sell for me) I field tested a RAZR, a KRZR, and a LG 8300.

The LG wins for call performance and battery life by far. Has the camera and Bluetooth. This was a defect swap from a Moto 800 series flip.

The voice menu is a little different and back up on contact list was a pain because LG didn't recognize a Main Number designation.

I think Moto still suffers from New To the Gadget industry issues. Cool features, just not all of the bugs worked out yet.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Wasn't there another thread exactly like this?

(EDIT: Yes there was... http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47091 )

Anyway, for Northern Virginia Verizon is by far the best.

not 'exactly'. Carlo wanted to know about coverage in MD. I don't live in MD, and I also want to know about the handsets, as that's an integral a part of the decision.

speaking of that...my mom needs a new phone. I'm considering adding a line at $10/month to the account and getting her the free LG VX5200. POS? Recommendations for a better, inexpensive choice on VZ service? She just needs the basics...doesn't care about anything more than ease of use and relaibility (her Cingular RAZR's earpiece speaker went dead after 13 months of rare use).

dan, always had good experience with the LG series phones. as for plans, I'd have to go on the website to check, patty and I share a plan for around $50 per month. course, I use the phone the most.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'd like to have that deal, but it seems the benefits now are for more than two phones. Still, adding my service to my wife's, plus an extra line for my mom comes to $80/month total. Not bad.

the LG 5200 is a good performing 'no frills' phone.

My folks have them in Rockbridge County, so they can't suck and work in that area.

Hope that helps Dan.

Todd

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

the LG 5200 is a good performing 'no frills' phone.

My folks have them in Rockbridge County, so they can't suck and work in that area.

Hope that helps Dan.

Todd

Where did you get that thing in your Avatar that says "The Ultimate Driving Machine" Guess again"

That is awesome.

Had a friend make some for me special. Only 1 other LGT member lucky enough to get one so far.

Not to jack the thread but any GI in these?? PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Archived