LegacyGT.com

Wilwood 4-pot caliper kit

Th3Franz

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the ride height, I haven't measured it in quite some time but something like 13.7" front and 13.4" rear? It's a little over an inch lower than stock ride height all around. I'd argue that the ride height is perfect. Lots and lots of travel and I doubt a roll center adjuster would do anything at this height.

Pretty sure the wheels are +48 offset. I had to roll the rear fenders and remove the black rubber strip. I rolled the fronts too although I probably didn't need to.

245/40/17 Dunlop Z1 star specs on an 8.5" wide wheel

As perfect a track size as we are going to get in an LGT yes?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Pretty sure the wheels are +48 offset. I had to roll the rear fenders and remove the black rubber strip. I rolled the fronts too although I probably didn't need to.

Crap, that means on a +45 RPF1, a roll would be almost certainly needed.:spin:

As perfect a track size as we are going to get in an LGT yes?

Bang for the buck, lateral grip, steering response/feedback, and resistance to rollover. It's perfect in my book. :)

(although if I got coilovers to run 17x9's with 265's that would be fun)

Edited by Th3Franz

do you really think you could run a 9"?

What offset would one need to make it fit properly if say...you were having them custom made. A 46 or 47?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Yeah I was able to roll the fenders quite a bit, and coilovers would give me more inboard clearance compared with my Bilsteins. 17x9 would definitely be doable but there wouldn't be much margin for the offset range. +45 offset would be where it's at, according to keefe's guide.

I bought the Wilwood 4-pot caliper kit from Eric at brakeswap.com. I wanted to share my impressions and evaluate performance of the kit under the most extreme conditions. :lol:

I will be running Centric premium and DBA 4000 rotors for street and track, respectively. I flushed the brake system with Amsoil series 600 DOT4 brake fluid.

I'm running DBA 4000s w/ stock calipers and SS lines and wanted to upgrade to a better kit. Did the Wilwood caliper fit correctly over your DBAs or did you upsize the rotors? I was hoping that I could swap out the calipers for a a 4-pot kit rather than going all out BBK w/ new rotors.

yep the Wilwood caliper is designed to fit with stock sized rotors. It fits fine over the DBA's and the pads contact the outer 2/3 of the rotor for the maximum brake torque.

Being able to use cheap, stock sized rotors is one reason I decided on the kit. :)

I'm running DBA 4000s w/ stock calipers and SS lines and wanted to upgrade to a better kit. Did the Wilwood caliper fit correctly over your DBAs or did you upsize the rotors? I was hoping that I could swap out the calipers for a a 4-pot kit rather than going all out BBK w/ new rotors.

I can accommodate. Send me PM :)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I put on Porterfield R4s in my wife's Miata and find they are awesome. Way better than any Hawk pad I've ever owned. Replacing my Annoying HP+'s in my Legacy with those (Wilwoods as well).

• 4 months later...

I just put Porterfields on my Wilwoods after your reviews. I like them a lot.

My hawk HPS had pad left but were getting really noisy and I just got tired of it. Deposits like you were having.

The Porterfields are much more quiet but do brake dust way more than the Hawks.

I am also getting some squeaking at low speeds when I am not pushing on them very hard. Not sure if I didn't get enough anti squeak on the backs of the pads or what. Need to look into that.

I do like these though.

My car has the squishy pedal feel that some have had. My buddies wagon which has stoptechs feels really firm.

I am going to do the STI booster and master cylinder swap next to get rid of the mushy pedal.

Thanks for the reviews franz

Surprised the Wilwoods with porterfields didn't improve or at least help with the mushy feel. They worked wonders on mine. If you think the porterfields dust just try the stoptechs,it borders on ridiculous . What did you get ? the RS 4's

I think some of us must have crappy boosters. As many have reported this problem

My buddy has stop tech brakes on his with stop tech pads and yea it dusts like crazy but his pedal is really firm. Mine for some reason is not.

There is a whole thread about the STI booster and master cylinder swap.

I have the R4s pads.

The R4S do get a little noisy. I have trouble keeping mine bedded in because I have a really short commute to work. They stop great when cold and have a nice temperature range and don't mind getting hot, so for me the little bit of noise at light pedal pressure is not a big deal.

Also, I just installed a Grimmspeed master cylinder brace last weekend. HOLY CRAP. This was the last piece my car was missing! The pedal has no dead travel anymore and feels so much more direct. Highly recommended!

I'm looking into piecing together a rear brake kit. Maybe go with an STI size rotor, but need to run the one that fits our parking brake and I want to run a Wilwood caliper, not a Brembo. If anyone has a rear Brembo caliper laying around, do you mind taking some dimensions for me?

Ill have to get the brace once I get my STI master cylinder and booster installed.

The nice thing about the wilwood kit, is if you damage a caliper (like I did) they are only 150 bucks.

So I guess franz yours squeak pretty bad as well. I thought maybe it was that I didn't put enough of the anti squeak material on the back of the pad but maybe not.

So its probably just pad squeaking?

On the rear kit we (KCwagon and I) were looking into coming up with a wilwood caliper that would work in the rear.

His brother has a metal fab shop so we could get a bracket made if need be.

We just need to find out the offset to the rotor etc. Maybe Eric from brake swap could give us some ideas.

Im open to suggestions.

Maybe we could call Wilwood and find the equivalent of the brembo rear for a subaru and use that.? Any suggestions.....

The antisqueak goop only does so much. Part of the trade off with a more aggressive pad is usually noise. Bedding the pads in does help a lot though, but like I said, with my short commute the bedding dissipates within a week. lol

Yeah Wilwood makes a rear kit with a slightly bigger rotor and dynapro caliper. I don't like their rotors though. They only offer 2 piece ones in the kit and those are much more expensive. I am considering emailing them to inquire if they have a direct replacement for the STI Brembo rear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...