LegacyGT.com

ar won't start

gdogg16

Ok, so my wife called me yesterday while I was at work and said the car won't start. She said she turned the key and nothing happens, no lights on etc. No biggie I figured, it's probably a dead battery. Wife confirmed this later when she called back and said she found the rear cargo light to be on, car hadn't been driven since Monday. So I got home, pulled the volvo up next to it and tried to jump start it. All I got was click click click click click(if you're a musician, imagine the click click click as a set of 32nd notes :p). So, again, no biggie, figured the battery didn't have enough amps. So I pulled the fluke out, and ohhhh blown fuses, can't check amps....:mad: But, I did measure voltage and it was about 9VDC. So, I put the charger on it and hmmm it says the battery has a full charge:confused: Let the battery sit on the charger for about 30 min and tried to start again and the same thing, click click click click click. Am I crazy here or is there another issue?

Long story short - Check to make sure you are charging the battery on full charge with the charger.

If you are charging the battery at a low rate, the charger may show that the battery has a full charge.

For example, on my charger, I have two different settings: Full charge and trickle charge. If I have a dead battery, and put the charger on trickle charge, the meter on the charger indicates the battery is charged because it is not supplying alot of amps to charge the battery. If I put it on full charge, the meter will spike into the red indicating a dead battery because it supplying alot of amps to charge the battery.

Archived