LegacyGT.com

Meter component swap

Does anybody know if you can swap the meter assembly (with the color display) from a limited model into a lower level 2.5i? I know you would also need the steering wheel controls but not sure if this is possible.

Thanks!

Yea this is true. The other question that has been bothering me is if you can get the mirror housings to match the body color. I called my local dealer after studying a diagram with the part numbers(no knowing which numbers correspond with which color) and the parts counterperson had no idea what I was even talking about.

I'm in the same boat as you subieguy, but I am looking for Tungsten Metallic. I think you may need to buy a set and get them painted, or find them at a junkyard.

2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M - FB25 w/ a 6 speed

2002 Impreza 2.5TS - EJ251 w/ a 5 speed (The Stormtrooper)

As far as the gauge cluster, you can swap it. It just takes some parts and having the cluster programmed. It is tied into the RF key ignition system. You need the steering wheel switch, the back cover for the steering wheel that has the cutout for the switch, the cluster sent out to have the mileage changed to match current odometer and a dealership or someone with subaru tool to do a registration of the keys to the new cluster.

Edit: as long as you have an automatic. It can be done in the manual with a few things not working do to that cluster being for automatics specifically.

Ok does anybody have the part number for the cluster assembly? I am on Subie's catalogue now and there are two different part numbers with the exact same price and no pictures. I work at an Acura dealer and have a friend down the street at the local subie dealer but they are closed now..

Over on the Forester forum a lot of those guys swap out the Forester gauge cluster for a WRX cluster (because some of the Forester ones are down right ugly and the WRX one has a water temp gauge) and they have found, depending on model year, equipment, and country of sale, sometimes they have to also swap out the mpg/clock readout on top of the dash because the new cluster won't "talk to" the original readout properly. So just be aware that this may be the case for you as well. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of good info on the conditions where this has occurred. I don't think it has happened where all USDM stuff is concerned but not certain on that. I remember one instance when a Canadian car was in kph and a mph cluster was used. Also with one in Europe.

Can the 2013-14 Limited Gauges be swapped into 2010-2012 Limiteds?

Did you read this thread? No one has even done it from a 2013-2014 to another 2013-2014, and until someone does, we won't know if it works for 2013-2014 cluster in a 2010-2012. So the answer to your question is, we don't know. So try it, and then we'll know.

Did you read this thread? No one has even done it from a 2013-2014 to another 2013-2014, and until someone does, we won't know if it works for 2013-2014 cluster in a 2010-2012. So the answer to your question is, we don't know. So try it, and then we'll know.

Well yes I did read the whole post and I did not see anything about putting this cluster into a 2010-12. The OP has a 2014 base and wants to swap in a 2014 limited cluster. So I figured since this a a post about swapping instrument clusters I would ask if anyone has tried to swap one into a 2010-2012 model. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2010-2012 clusters were all the same so no benefit in swapping them. Then the newer clusters changed, adding more functions to the display most likely making the swap not a pnp mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The newer lcd model will work in a 2010-2012 model. It just takes more work. The wiring for the steering switch is not present, so it has to be hardwired. The steering wheel is not the same, so the switch doesn't fit it. That means a steering wheel swap is needed just for the switch. I believe that also you would need the clock spring/roll connector. You also need the cluster trim piece as it is different for the lcd model. Forgot to mention that last post. The lcd cluster itself has the exact same pinout as the regular one. I helped someone on this forum swapping one into an LGT actually. Even though it was never designed for the manual transmission. It worked with a few options not working do to the setup of the manual transmission electrical system. I was going to put one in mine, but other expenses came up with having to take it to a body shop.

The newer lcd model will work in a 2010-2012 model. It just takes more work. The wiring for the steering switch is not present, so it has to be hardwired. The steering wheel is not the same, so the switch doesn't fit it. That means a steering wheel swap is needed just for the switch. I believe that also you would need the clock spring/roll connector. You also need the cluster trim piece as it is different for the lcd model. Forgot to mention that last post. The lcd cluster itself has the exact same pinout as the regular one. I helped someone on this forum swapping one into an LGT actually. Even though it was never designed for the manual transmission. It worked with a few options not working do to the setup of the manual transmission electrical system. I was going to put one in mine, but other expenses came up with having to take it to a body shop.

Maybe a walk thru thread with pics could be helpful.

At some point a may be able to put one together if I get around to doing it to mine. Time right now doesn't permit. I'm working 7 days a week and neck deep in remodeling my home. I don't have any pictures of it except for what he sent me. I basically gave him "electrical tech support" throughout the whole process. He did all the work. The walk through would also be different for each model on which parts are needed and what to do.

Archived