LegacyGT.com

Front DBA 4000 rotors

SW7RT

Is there a down side to just running front DBA 4000 rotors and leaving the rear oem? Also is it really worth it to change to Motul fluid? I plan on installing HPS pads f & r, this is just for street driving. I was thinking I could save some money for other things while gaining a little performance in the brake dept and also I'm tired of the stupid brake shudder. I've used the search button quite a bit I need to make a decision soon before some deals end. Thanks for any help. "So many mods, not enough time, no enough money" :lol:

Well my first question is, why are you upgrading the rotors? The stock rotors work fine for most applications (even road racing). What are you hoping to gain from DBA rotors?

If it were me (and I actually did go this route), I'd just get the pads and fluid and be done with it.

Well my first question is, why are you upgrading the rotors? The stock rotors work fine for most applications (even road racing). What are you hoping to gain from DBA rotors?

If it were me (and I actually did go this route), I'd just get the pads and fluid and be done with it.

Dude, the stock rotors are HORRIBLE!

To the OP, why not just get both?

The fact that I went through 2 sets in teh first 30,000 miles i've owned my car. They are NOT a performance rotor, they warp so easily when hard braking at high speeds. Luckily they were still under warranty, so they were resurfaced 5 times and replaced twice. Go aftermarket.

Maybe you're harder on your rotors than others are, your personal experience doesn't make a rule.

I've had the same rotors for multiple hpde's and auto-x's and almost 30k miles without an issue. If the OP is just looking for daily driving as he stated, then it's a waste of money to upgrade. If he wants a bling factor, then fine, but it's not necessary imo.

A little more stopping power and budget is an issue, f & r DBA4000s are $460.00. I've the stupid shudder on the front brakes which I believe is an oem pad issue due to pad deposit build up. I've bedded these brakes a few times and it always comes back and I can't confirm that just changing the oem pads and resurfacing the oem rotor will solve this, thus new front rotors. I like what I've heard about DBAs.

The fact that I went through 2 sets in teh first 30,000 miles i've owned my car. They are NOT a performance rotor, they warp so easily when hard braking at high speeds. Luckily they were still under warranty, so they were resurfaced 5 times and replaced twice. Go aftermarket.

wow I put DBA's on the front and rear at 50,000 and the rotors I took off had a ton of life left in them. I bet I could have gotten another 30,000 out of them and no I dont drive like a puss

bigb3630123, were you running stock pads?

I live in a rather mountanous area, so intensive braking is a daily activity. There is simply no getting around needing to stop from 60MPH on a steep hill. Typical rotor life in this area is rather short. I would also imagine stopping after the brakes had heated up is not exactly 'good' for them either.

I do have a similar experience with the rotors being warped on my JDM B4. I too will be upgrading to the DBA 4000 series rotors along with steel braided lines.

Pretty much all the Leggie owners I know here in Jamaica, share the experience & sentiments that the stock rotors are really poor in quality.

Stock pads Are terrible because they leave so much pad material on the rotors that cause that wheel shaking while braking. I was going to get dba's but instead i went with slotted oem style rotors from brakeswap instead + Hawk HPS all around. Overall very good stopping power and good pedal feel as well.

I'm running only DBA 4000 fronts atm.. I got front and rear but the stock fronts were in much worse shape than the rears so I just have the DBA's up front for now. The stock rotors lasted me 40k miles and they were put through their paces :) The DBAs seem to provide better feel (same pads and everything) and the cooling vanes seem to help. Having DBA up front and stock in rear probably shifts your brake bias to the front a bit more, but it's not a big deal imo

im in the same boat. today im putting on hps f & r pads, dot4 racing fluid, and ss line f & r. I would like to put sloted f & r discs on. i autocross and really would like a better feel of breaks. i would rather have a better breaking power than hp at this point in time. hp will come later.

I'm running only DBA 4000 fronts atm.. I got front and rear but the stock fronts were in much worse shape than the rears so I just have the DBA's up front for now. The stock rotors lasted me 40k miles and they were put through their paces :) The DBAs seem to provide better feel (same pads and everything) and the cooling vanes seem to help. Having DBA up front and stock in rear probably shifts your brake bias to the front a bit more, but it's not a big deal imo

I have about 32k miles on the stock rotors and figured that chances are I'll have to resurface the front a couple times so why not just get AM front rotors. I was also wondering about the brake bias sounds like thats not really a concern. When I changed my stock springs to ION springs on oem struts it wasn't too long before I was disatisfied with the ride quality so I got HD's and pinks which were much better. Imo changing just stock springs are a waste so I was kind of thinking the same thing about the oem brake pads.

I do have a similar experience with the rotors being warped on my JDM B4. I too will be upgrading to the DBA 4000 series rotors along with steel braided lines.

Pretty much all the Leggie owners I know here in Jamaica, share the experience & sentiments that the stock rotors are really poor in quality.

So I see that I'm not the only one.:) I know many will argue that the stock rotors are fine and just the brake pads are crappy, but I only have problems with the fronts whether its the pads or the rotors or both. I just wanted to get some inputs and experience from others here on the forum to make my decision. I'll post when I get mine install, but first I need to make an order.

I've got 51k and am fine on the stocks. I switched to HPS pads at 45k. No vibrations and I can lock up Eagle F1 tires that can reach close to 1.0G stopping, so I don't really understand what DBA rotors would do better, except if fading was an issue, which it isn't for me.

The stock disks were worn 0.3mm of 2mm at 45k. I did occasionally get the pulsing feeling with the stock pads. If I bedded them in again that went away as I ground off the deposits.

--Lee

I have DBA 4000's in the front, hawk hps pads, and technafit stainless lines. God dang did the feel and stopping power improve. Its amazing, they do make more noise than the stockers though, which can be a bit annoying at times. But the improvement is amazing.

Archived