LegacyGT.com

Got an SPT Intake for Christmas..

timmahh

Unplugged neg. bat cable; installed.. was working fine.. didn't notice much difference... Next day after about 100 miles, check engine light is on. Car is still running fine.

I looked at the MAF; covered in oil/dirt/grime. I unplugged the battery again, and then used a paper towel and wiped off the little sensor on the MAF.. After about an hour I reconnected the battery, CEL is gone.

Now.. dare I say.... I FEEL A POWER INCREASE?!

I think my assdyno is off the charts, would cleaning the MAF make a performance difference?

Edit.. I know intakes are useless for the most part; but I really like the sound of it -_-

First, you "cleaned" the MAF how? With what? They make a MAF cleaner you know. The MAF is a precision electronic instrument that under normal conditions should not ever need cleaning.

At this point if the MAF is undamaged you definitely need to rescale it. The "cleaning" and the fact that the intake tube on the SPT is smaller than OEM means you are at best running rich.

Oh and no intake makes any power on your car until you hit over 300HP (its just that the SPT is one of the worst, lol). Its just noise. If you have any other mods at all do your self a favor and get a tune.

My two cents. Good luck with the intake.

I cleaned it with a papertowel.. when I looked at it, half of it was dark, half was not. In cleaning i'm talking about the small sensor type deal that is on the side; it was oily-dirty; after a quick wipe with the paper towel the gunk was off of it.

If the SPT intake is that effing bad why do they selll it??

[.. oh wait... because people buy them]. Should I have my santa return my gift?

My other 'mod' is SPT exhaust..

If you like it, keep it. I would not want to start a disagreement with "santa".

It makes no power, just noise. Has been proven to cause bad MAF readings due to inlet turbulence. Even with proper scaling (due to change in pipe size and flow) it is difficult to tune. I had one (on the car from the dealership). I removed it and sold it.

For the money, there are "better" intakes and way better mods. For the same money you could buy a VAG-COM cable and get an Infamous1 tune. Thats worth some real power, the car will drive better overall, and for your 05 removes the dangerous timing condition that Subaru left for you.

Can you tell I'm a Infamous fan?

Heres a thread that describes it;

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101428&highlight=warning

I think the Tactrix/Vag-Com with an Infamous tune is the way to go.

+1 for Infamous.

If I was in your shoes I would pick up an UP/DP before you got your tune. If you don't do it now I am confident you'll end up doing it later. ;)

+1 for Infamous.

If I was in your shoes I would pick up an UP/DP before you got your tune. If you don't do it now I am confident you'll end up doing it later. ;)

That's what's stopping me.. but I want a cat in the DP which means $$$; and AVO has the CARB approved cat DP.. Even though the DP doesn't have a CARB E/O it's "less" illegal than a DP w/ a racing cat or no cat..

That's what's stopping me.. but I want a cat in the DP which means $$$; and AVO has the CARB approved cat DP.. Even though the DP doesn't have a CARB E/O it's "less" illegal than a DP w/ a racing cat or no cat..

You Cali guys really have it rough. If you're worried about emissions, you might just want to gut your stocker. Then you'd be totally stealth. GL passing the sniffer. I've heard there are tricks (dryer sheets in the mufflers...jk jk).

That's the reason I wanted the AVO DP because it uses a oem-like ceramic cat, obviously not as free flowing as a metal race cat but still flows better than the factory stuff and doesn't flip off our ozone layer.

I have no idea why subaru would put a cat in the UP.. Obviously they didn't either since it was removed in 07.

That's the reason I wanted the AVO DP because it uses a oem-like ceramic cat, obviously not as free flowing as a metal race cat but still flows better than the factory stuff and doesn't flip off our ozone layer.

I have no idea why subaru would put a cat in the UP.. Obviously they didn't either since it was removed in 07.

First, no DP is legal in CA. In Jan 2009 they made all hi flow cats illegal, lol. Save your money, get an ERZ catted DP for $330. You are going to have to swap back to stock for a "legal" smog anyway. If a cop with a bug up his ass pulls you over and checks under the hood you are f*d no matter what. The AVO does NOTHING for you that any other catted DP doesn't do. Your tune will kill off the CEL's and thats all you can do.

As for the cat in the up, it is there to preheat the final cat so that it reaches efficiency faster at idle. The 07+ models lose the cat in the uppipe, but gain the airpump to perform the same purpose. Ditching the cat in the uppipe is also illegal in CA. Hell changing your BPV is illegal in CA. Only thing legal on my cars are the suspension (that could be questioned too because there is a height restriction law-headlights must be 24 inches from ground) and the CBE's.

Stop worrying about the smog nazis. I rolled into CA with my NY plates and a full stage 2.5 set-up. The smog tech had no idea WTF was going on under my hood. Even acknowledged that he was sure cats were missing. In the end, because there were no CEL's and the car was clean as a whistle on the sniffer, he passed me. Friggin idiot could lose his license and be fined over $50000 for passing my car and he did it for normal price, lol.

I wanted to ask you about the ERZ DP.. Your little info/profile says 08 5sp auto and a 08 specB.. does the ERZ Fit the manual or is it only for the auto ?

Seems like a good product at a pretty killer deal

RE: Smog stuff.. ugh.. I got totally fucked over once; I put an ebay adapter cone filter on my 240SX; on the 240 there is a pipe that goes from the intake directly to the exhaust; it's sole purpose is to pull in air [not an EGR valve or anything]; I had mine disconnected from the intake once I got the cone filter; it was still pulling in air but not connected to anything.. I got a ticket for "no smog device installed"..!%$#%

i believe the laws in MASS are same as cali. i was pulled over by a statie in my daily driver an told that its illegal to even modify muffler tips etc. if it doesnt pollute or destroy our environment it shouldnt be illegal IMHO!

i believe the laws in MASS are same as cali. i was pulled over by a statie in my daily driver an told that its illegal to even modify muffler tips etc. if it doesnt pollute or destroy our environment it shouldnt be illegal IMHO!

The tips are a little far; I don't think the CA Vehicle Code has any provisions on the look of the tip, but there's definately provisions for modification of exhaust when it increases emissions or increases sound output. You cannot have exhaust on a vehicle above 93dB

(....... but it's ok for a diesel truck to be loud as shit or for a motorcycle to sound like a ******* airplane in your ear)

Cali if far diff from Mass.

There are regulations on everything.

If the cop wants to right a ticket he will. If its a CHP your are screwed.

If a CHP inspects your car during a road side stop (with or without a sniffer cause they carry them) and finds that the cat has been removed, altered, or hiflow it is an instant $2000 fine and the car gets towed to impound.

I have gotten tickets for being too low, exhaust too loud, windows tinted, missing front license plate, stereo too loud, taking a right turn too close to the curb (I did not rub it), my dog in the front seat, changing lanes too quickly (he said he thought I stole the car because I changed lanes to get around a slow moving group), cruising (passed the same intersection 3 times in 1 hour), exhibition of speed (leaving the light too quickly), speed in excess of 100mph (in a van that could only go 97 because I was bouncing off the speed gov. but still got hit for $1350 and no license for 30 days), and most recently running a red light (caught by a camera) I entered the intersection 0.08 seconds after the light turned red and exited the intersection 0.8 seconds after it turned red.

Cali is the WORST for tickets.

Oh, and the ERZ DP fits all MT 05-09 Legacys. Mine is on the SpecB.

I would love to live in CA for a little while to see what it's about. The only things keeping me away are emissions and excessive enforcement of driving laws. :(

Jeez Sprank, you've got a pretty nasty driving record. How old are you, out of curiosity?

I have lived on both coasts, originally from NY. Roads on the East Coast are so crappy you almost lose the urge to stomp it. Roads in Cali are like a racetrack and beg to be driven hard.

Cali has roads and weather, NY has ahhhhh, its home. A few members here have seen the tattoo of NY that takes up my whole right chest.

I'm 35, and have just 1 ticket on my record (1 point) and it is gone soon. I actually still qualify for a good driver discount. Thanks to Cali's lenient Traffic School rules.

Most of my bad experiences were when I was younger and drove much flashier cars. Knock on wood, lol.

Archived