LegacyGT.com

Hella horn relay. Is it needed?

Dergara

Just to sum this question up for good, I would like to ask the experts.

1. Has anyone ever had an issue with Hella Supertone Horns because they did not install the Hella relay and used the factory wiring for the horns?

2. I have heard there is already a horn relay in the car, is this true, and is it sufficient?

Note: I have read on NASIOC that there has never been any issues with leaving the Hella Horn Relay out.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

I installed some on Becker's car last week. Unplugged the stock horns and used 2 spade connectors to go from them to the Hellas. Grounded the Hellas to the bracket made to hold them. No issues so far.

To answer your other question yes there is a stock relay in almost all modern cars for the horn. Where its at exactly? It should be close to the fuses, but im not exactly sure. I think Hella includes the relay for "race" cars that do not have a sophisticated wiring system, notice the wiring diagram for adding the Hellas with a "on/off" switch. I think thats what the relay is for, is set ups like that.

Doesn't matter.

The horns will be marginally louder with a dedicated harness.

It is the same principle as a heavy duty headlight wiring harness.

You can actually marginally improve the performance of almost any switched systems in the car by using dedicated harnesses triggered by the stock wiring. Headlights, fog lights, horn, those kinds of things would all benefit from a reduction in the voltage drop going to them. Similarly, you can improve the performance of most sensors by simply providing a more robust ground than the factory wiring provides. Things like the knock sensor and TPS are examples of that. That's why people unanimously agree that a grounding kit improves the drivability of their car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

how about if I want to keep my stock horn too?

could I just splice into the factory wiring for the horns or would it overload the system with it powering the hella and stock horns at the same time?

The value of the OE horn would be diminished after having the Hellas, however I bet you could simply ground the Hellas through the OE horns and then you'd have all 3.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived