LegacyGT.com

Radio reception sucks

Markbo

My stock radio reception sucks. Especially AM. I know when doing in dash gauges everything is connected correctly. Is there anything I can do besides replace it with aftermarket?

The Antenna lead on the deck powers a receive preamplifier. The antenna is in the back window. If its disconnected the reception is pretty much non-existent. I don't think that's what's happening here. The coaxial cable from the rear-window antenna is very thin, like RG174 style, and the connector quite delicate so if you've been in the dash working on other things its possible it was damaged by accident.

That said, mine is working fine but the receiver can't touch the factory one in my Ford.

The Antenna lead on the deck powers a receive preamplifier. The antenna is in the back window. If its disconnected the reception is pretty much non-existent. I don't think that's what's happening here. The coaxial cable from the rear-window antenna is very thin, like RG174 style, and the connector quite delicate so if you've been in the dash working on other things its possible it was damaged by accident.

That said, mine is working fine but the receiver can't touch the factory one in my Ford.

Or do you think it's HD radio? Not sure what kind of Ford you have but I went from a '13 Legacy 2.5i with HD radio that sounded amazing to an '08 GT and the radio sounds like crap in comparison. Little hints of static here and there, I hate it.

Wasn't sure if my antenna was bad or not like OP but I'm thinking maybe its just the difference between HD radio and non HD radio. Hopefully I'm wrong because I would love to get that crystal clear signal again.

No HD radio (yet) in Ontario. The local Toronto stations come in okay, but the low-power local ones are iffy. The reality is a thin wire sitting flat in the rear window is not going to pull in the same kind of signal as a full-length vertical rod poking out of the front fender.

My reception in my car sucks. I had the rear glass replaced which helped slightly but I just think the reception in general isn't very good. I listen to internet radio in my car. No commercials and I don't have to deal with the fm radio cutting in and out.

• 4 months later...

Update! I think I found the problem. My window tinting was looking a little ragged so I decided to take it all out instead of paying the tint place to do it. Heck that cost more than tinting it! It was quite a chore. But I noticed when I peeled the film off the rear window the inside of it appeared metallic. It didnt look like from the outside but peeled off it sure did.

So it immediately piqued my curiosity and I turned on the radio just to see. Bigger than Hell the radio reception is fine! Driving to work the last 2 days has delivered clear reception on all the usual AM & FM channels that previously would fade in and out with constant static.

I never would have thougt that but thats what I have found.

I think this may be what's causing mine as well. I was about to post this issue when I saw yours. I noticed that when I turn on my rear defroster that my reception goes to complete s**t and read that metallic tints can do this. I am assuming that the tint that was on the vehicle when I purchased it is metallic and causing the reception issues.

I don't have tints, and my radio reception has always gone down the tubes when I use the rear defroster. The same goes for when I'm charging something from the center console, that makes my radio reception horrible as well.

• 3 weeks later...

What you are all talking about is a known problem on legacys, the radio antenna is in the rear glass, and is prone to breaking there is a TSB on this very thing.

Search some old threads for this, and you will see this has been an issue for years, window tint in some cases makes it worst because some have conductive properties.

I believe the fix is to use the defroster repair kits you can get at the local parts store, but it has been a while since i looked at the TSB.

Good luck.

What you are all talking about is a known problem on legacys, the radio antenna is in the rear glass, and is prone to breaking there is a TSB on this very thing.

Search some old threads for this, and you will see this has been an issue for years, window tint in some cases makes it worst because some have conductive properties.

I believe the fix is to use the defroster repair kits you can get at the local parts store, but it has been a while since i looked at the TSB.

Good luck.

I found the TSB and the repair kit is what they recommend doing. Though the repair kit part # they reference I don't believe is being made anymore. But there is a newer kit available. My question is, would this doable with tint? Or would the tint need to be removed to repair this? I wouldn't be surprised if removal is necessary.

I have this problem too. I've replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket Sony deck along with the antenna adapter and it still has static on some radio stations. And I've also noticed that when I turn my rear defroster on, the static gets even worse. Seems odd that there are multiple people that say the same thing. I've looked at the cabling and wiring and there is no issue with fraying wires etc. Oh and I had this issue before I had tint put on the rear window so I don't think tint has much to play in what's wrong with mine at least.

I have this problem too. I've replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket Sony deck along with the antenna adapter and it still has static on some radio stations. And I've also noticed that when I turn my rear defroster on, the static gets even worse. Seems odd that there are multiple people that say the same thing. I've looked at the cabling and wiring and there is no issue with fraying wires etc. Oh and I had this issue before I had tint put on the rear window so I don't think tint has much to play in what's wrong with mine at least.

Read one of the last few posts. There is a TSB about this issue. It seems to be a problem with a lot of people. I have it. But I have only ever owned this car with tint. I thought about having it removed to see if it gets better. And if not, then use the rear window defroster line repair kit to help improve the issue.

Hmmmm... What exactly is this repair kit? I don't see anything wrong with the wiring and my problem went away with the tint removal anyway. Just curious. I ran the rear defroster about a week ago for the first time in memory and didn't hear any static.

Information from the recall:

"Customer complaint of radio static when the radio and rear window defogger are on at the same time, there is the possibility of a break in one or more of the defogger grids. When the grid is broken, a high resistance field is created at the break point which can create static on some radio stations. The level of resistance is usually high enough to create a field of interference which projects out from the glass. The break can be detected visually or by using a portable radio.

Using a portable radio, set the radio to the same frequency and station being disturbed by static. From the outside of the vehicle, slowly move the radio’s antenna across the defogger grids. When interference is encountered, inspect that specific area closely for a break. Depending upon the size of the break, a magnifying glass and/or eyeloupe may be required.

Once the break is identified, it should be repaired using the Permatex® repair kit instead of replacing the rear glass. Note: Make sure to carefully read and follow the instructions

and precautions that are included with the Permatex® repair kit.

Permatex® Quick Grid™ Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit, part # 15067, used for repairing damaged rear window defogger grids, is available at local automotive parts stores."

Found here: http://www.cars101.com/recalls.html

Repair kit that I have found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231669681064?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 4 weeks later...

Archived