LegacyGT.com

5EAT Going Into Neutral

Roche

I've noticed with my 5EAT that when I let off the gas i.e going downhill, the tranny will drop the RPMs down to 500 and bounce back up to 1k as if I'm throwing it into neutral. But wait! It only happens when I'm in manual mode. Is this normal or the start of a problem? My old car did this and then I lost 4th gear. :spin:

Fluid level is okay, going to do another drain and fill soon. I didn't replace the tranny filter last change though.

No braking, seems to only happen when I'm going above 40. I'll try to make a video of it withing a couple days if it were to help

It's normal. Watch it again and you will see it does the same thing in D mode.

When this happens, the torque converter is disengaging from lock-up mode, which happens at about 1500 rpms.

It's not going in neutral, you are just observing the inherent elasticity of fluid coupling.

Fluid level is okay, going to do another drain and fill soon. I didn't replace the tranny filter last change though.

No braking, seems to only happen when I'm going above 40. I'll try to make a video of it withing a couple days if it were to help

Filter is a lifetime filter and was put on at the factory with a hulk-sized super-human gorilla.

It took complete removal of the entire filter assembly, a vice, piercing by long screwdriver, gorilla sized channel locks and 3 of us to remove my OE filter from the assembly, when my tranny was replaced.

Unless you've grenaded your tranny, don't worry about the filter. Rather, worry about fluid that is clean and has not been overheated.

Archived