LegacyGT.com

Opinions on a clutch

Hey guys, I searched but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Currently I have an 05 lgt limited stage 2, and in a couple weeks I will be going the vf52 route with a perrin tmic. My stock clutch is on its way out and am pretty sure it will not last long with the vf52.

I hear mixed reviews on many clutches for our cars. I know I'll get a oem flywheel from an 06-07 wrx, but when the actuall clutch comes about I'm completely lost.

With the vf52 in there from what I understand will be in the 320/330 tq range.

Ideally I would like a Clutch that is almost oem feeling when you press it but a bit more grabbier and able to hold the power.

Would an exedy stage 2 be able to hold it? Heard some mixed reviews about act

And spec clutches. Looking for somthing that's will last a long time- atleast 30k..

Car will see the 1/4 mile a couple times a year and occasional spirited driving here and there.

Any opinions from experience of what not to get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys- Sean

ACT clutch paired up with the WRX flywheel.

Many of us here have that combo, it's fantastic with lots of holding power.

But there are a trillion posts about clutches on this forum.... you sure you searched?

FWIW, All the major clutch manufactures products are good, if they weren't they'd be out of business. Read thier web sites and find which clutch best fit's your needs.

Also try and buy from one of the vendors on this site. My Spec 2+ came from JSC Speed back in Jun 07. I have also had great customer service from AZPinstalls.com they help out on here a lot for free.

Might as well buy form somebody you know and can trust. Give Mike or Jake a call at AZPinstalls. They can get you just about anything you want. For a good price too.

You can tell tem I sent you. :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Honestly I'd stay away from the Spec 2+ clutch, or any kevlar clutch for that matter, if you launch the car at the track. I got better 60ft's with my stock clutch (stage2) before it started slipping. Also, my spec 2+ only has about 15 launches/20k miles on it and it's slipping now. Once the kevlar gets burned, there's no saving it.

Legend is running Mid-low 12's and dd'ing his ACT HDSS with good results.

Also with the act hd street clutch comes the clutch chatter that is spoken about with this clutch. I plan on doing a fx300 and new oem flywheel when I upgrade to a fphta68. Unless you are upgrading the injectors and pump too with the vf52 then the stock clutch should be fine. But I would upgrade ne way since you are opening the tranny

Honestly I'd stay away from the Spec 2+ clutch, or any kevlar clutch for that matter, if you launch the car at the track. I got better 60ft's with my stock clutch (stage2) before it started slipping. Also, my spec 2+ only has about 15 launches/20k miles on it and it's slipping now. Once the kevlar gets burned, there's no saving it.

Legend is running Mid-low 12's and dd'ing his ACT HDSS with good results.

Damn just dropped a arm and a leg to get my cc stage 2 amd os being installed as we speak :spin:

ACT clutch paired up with the WRX flywheel.

Many of us here have that combo, it's fantastic with lots of holding power.

This is what I'm running and it holds the power nicely. With the TSK sleeve chatter is nonexistant. Search is your friend.

Damn just dropped a arm and a leg to get my cc stage 2 amd os being installed as we speak :spin:

I have over 72,000 miles on my Spec 2+ and it's fine. Still grabs like it did new. I have launched the car but not like a drag racer does.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

I too will be looking for a clutch soon after tonight's little excursion oops

I was launching my stock clutch way too hard tonight I never smelt soo much clutch burn in my life!!!

I also need a good combo something for DD (wife's DD) & in traffic, but something that can launch fairy good now and again to put some manners on those pesky Honda's (kidding). Is there such a thing??

Don't do a clutch masters product if you want to launch. the kevlar clutch material can sheer off of the disk. do and exxedy "stage 1" its the equavilant of a stage 3 clutch from other companies in terms of holding power, and its really comfortable for daily driving.

I am in the same boat. Clutch just started slipping the other day.

I believe I will be going with the ACT HD street disc with OEM SM flywheel.

I have had good luck with ACT clutches on my other cars, I have high hopes :)

this seem like a good set up maybe a wrx fly wheel as well?

Archived