LegacyGT.com

Back pain from seats

Ive read many threads from guys on here complaining about back pain from their seats. And I'm another victim. Have a 2005 legacy wagon with the stock cloth seats. And my god. Worst seats I've ever sat in. This is my 4th vehicle I've owned and these seats are death. They are literally just a flat board with a piece of cloth over them. I've developed back pain that I've never had before.

Not many adjustments are available on manual seats like these. I'm actually having to go to a reupholstery shop next week and see what they can do to either add new softer foam to the seats and/or completely re shape them. If they can't do anything that will help me, I'm literally going to have to sell the car. I love the car but it's not worth having back pain and dreading driving it because of the seats.

And I'm a little guy. I'm 5'7 about 135-140. Just wanted to throw it out there that another guy absolutely hates the seats in this car. I'm not sure if the leather seats have softer foam and actually offer support. I found a pretty clean set of front and back seats on ebay for $500 but if the support is going to be the same as my seats are now then it's not worth it. Just sucksssss

It's funny that my 04 Forester XT has VERY comfortable 100% manual seats, but the 05 LGT limited with a ton of adjustment are very uncomfortable. Lumbar support is also very high (meant for 7' tall folks?). Also the seats are very narrow for the upper body, You have to be 100lbs to actually fit into them.

Now I'm tempted to swap the forester seats into the legacy...

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Really? I love the seats in my legacy. But I was raised on big squishy american seats that dump you out in corners, so maybe I just like a change. Going to buy a set of fronts to go into my '31 Ford hot rod when the time comes.

Drove 12 hrs straight last year ( going to do again in a few days) with a few stops to pee and fill up. Walked 18 holes the next day and played a couple of sets of tennis too, I'm not a young kid either. What's wrong with you pussies?? Sell your car's and buy a Lincoln with a sofa in it. Like GT said, core work or learn how to stretch.

Drove 12 hrs straight last year ( going to do again in a few days) with a few stops to pee and fill up. Walked 18 holes the next day and played a couple of sets of tennis too, I'm not a young kid either. What's wrong with you pussies?? Sell your car's and buy a Lincoln with a sofa in it. Like GT said, core work or learn how to stretch.

My buddy has an 06 Lincoln zephyr and the seats in that are like sitting on clouds. Supportive, yet comfy clouds.

Walking 18 holes has proved to be the best thing in the world for my back. I have a herniated disc paired with sciatica and I'm only 19. The only thing I've found is that the more active I am (hockey, golf, snowboarding, working out, ect.) the better my back feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a bit concerned when I got my Outback 2 years ago that the seats were going to be a problem for my back. I'm 45 and have a less than stellar back (not enough core work, too much time spent bent under hoods). I was used to the SRT-4 seats in my Neon which are pretty damn comfy for aggressively bolstered seats. But I have to say, even for longs trips (2-4 hours at a time), they haven't given me any problems. Maybe the 2008 seats are better made?

TLDR: Mine are fine for my old back :lol:

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

You play golf and tennis and we're the pussies?

When I arrived at my destination none of my Rugby buddies were around and couldn't find any tough mudders to enter so I opted for 7 hrs of mellow exercise. By the way, I've had back issues off and on my whole life, yeah sitting in ANY car for 4 hrs will make your back a bit tight.

Edited by JJr

I came from a 2010 GTI with leather seats that fit me like a glove(6'7 and 210lbs). The first week or two I thought I had made a mistake as I was getting some back pain on my 55 mile one way commute. But I finally found a position that works for me and have no more complaints.

Oh lingling, I just love cute little Asian guys :wub:

Man that was a hilariously bad show. I think the pitch probably started, "you know how most sitcoms are just racist or just homophobic?"

Anyway... Those seats. Yeah past about 6 hours they really start to suck.

personally, my leather ltd seats are great. i've done a few road trips with no aches or back issues when i was finished, either. i had an 03 Jetta GLI a few years ago, and an hour in those seats were something to cry about. just bad for anything over 50 miles.

maybe it's just you having back issues.

Maybe you need to have a few upper body workout days, because my wife is the only person I know that doesn't mind the seats. ;)

In all seriousness it's not about stretching, it's about height and shoulder width. I'm average height (5'10"), I do have fairly broad shoulder thus the seats push right into the shoulder blades. If I was taller I would probably clear the seat better, then again a 6' friend with smaller shoulders complains about the discomfort too.

But to put it in perspective my 2000 Infiniti G20 (think Sentra but with leather seats) has better seats, heck even my 01 Sentra has more comfortable seats that hold you in just as well.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I find the seats to be stiff, but at least give a good driving position (IMO). I'm in an 07 Limited.

I can relate. I had a GTI with leather seats before this and they were so unfortable for me that I was forced to sell the car, so I know how you feel. I loved that car, but the seating position was very awkward and there was no lower back support. No car is worth being in pain for