LegacyGT.com

UP & DP installed

Found a shop locally that felt comfortable installing an Invidia UP, a Cobb DP, the bullet proof intercooler kit and the IP&T Complete Filtered Turbo Oil Supply Line and ACVS Replacement Line Kit. Now that I have been bitten, I want to have bigger injectors, new fuel pump, valve body upgrade and a new turbo with a ProTune. I'm getting there slowly but surely.

05 LGT, 5eat, 122K miles.

Oddly enough, the installer stated the biggest issue he had was dealing with the Invidia UP as the bung should have been 12x1.25 but was 12x1.5 so the stock EGT wouldn't fit. He re-threaded it so I could continue using the stock EGT and said everything tightened up. I thought that was kind of weird since that pipe is made specifically for subaru's. Yea yea I hear ya, I just didn't want to do the resistor mod..

Anyhoo, loaded Stage 2 93 from my Cobb AP. Car started fine. It did idle a tad low, especially when in gear at a red light. Car runs strong, and pulls better at higher speeds.

Yesterday at WOT, the car would initially blow a puff of black smoke and leave a trail of it until I let off. I was thinking it was running to rich but the AP says the A/F ratio is the same as before at 11.0:1. At idle and cruising it hovers in the 14's. More towards 14.2 to 14.6 range but occasionally 14.7. Hmm black smoke, so either it was too rich or something else. Maybe the fact it doesn't have the cat in the UP but IDK. Maybe it was making more boost and blowing the soot out of the pipes....but IDK

Recap: Max boost yesterday was 15.6. And the car was idling a bit low and blowing black smoke at WOT.

Started the car this morning and made sure there was no smoke of any color at initial start-up which all was good.

Hooked up the AP to monitor a few things. At start-up A/R ratio was 13.8 and within a few seconds went to 14.4, then jumped around from 14.1 to 14.8, mostly in the low 14's.

Drove easy for a couple miles to warm the car up. This time at WOT, there was no black smoke and max boost went to 16.1, then later in the drive went to 16.6. While just cruising on the interstate the A/F ratio overs in the low to mid 14's. Maybe the car just needs to learn all the new stuff.

Oh yea, one important question. Since I replaced the oil supply line and factory banjo filter and the ACVS line, can you go with more extended oil replacement intervals? I know with the factory banjo filter subaru recommended at least 3750 which I was doing every 3K anyway with dino oil. I'd love to get a green light on a good synthetic and go every 5k like I do on my other vehicles.

All in all, these upgrades have been worth the time and money so anyone contemplating whether to do it or not, my recommendation is YES. It's well worth the investment.

you should use the 91 map with 93 octane if you can

Would you mind elaborating on that?? I'm a newbie so I don't understand everything at this point.

What would it help or change to improve?

Would that be a little bit of a de-tune so to speak?

• Moderators
Would you mind elaborating on that?? I'm a newbie so I don't understand everything at this point.

What would it help or change to improve?

Would that be a little bit of a de-tune so to speak?

It's safer. Since the tune isn't customized for your car you are better off running better gas than the tune requires to minimize any chance of knock.

The power difference between the 91 and 93 octane maps is probably not all that noticeable anyway.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

1) Yes, as others have said, put in 91 map, run on 93 gas. I've seen complaints of knocking by many people here (including myself) who run the OTS 93 maps using 93 gas. So back off to the 91 map.

2) 11ish is the lowest your sensor will read. The O2 sensor is useless when you're in moderate to heavy boost.

3) The whole point of putting in that UP was to make sure the stock UPs cat didn't send shrapnel into the turbo. You should've left the EGT sensor out and just had your installer put a bolt into the hole. You wouldn't have needed a resistor mod either way because the Cobb stage 2 maps disable the CEL last I checked, and any tuner worth crap would disable it too.

Do you have much oil in your TMIC? Pull off BOV and take a peak.

I suspect you have what I had going on, bad PCV. I thought I blew my rings, but it turns out more oil was getting into the intake, causing idle to drop and burning oil on startup.

If you have oil in intake, PCV. If no oil, you may have a failing ring/rings - compression test.

Expect under high boost/WOT that you might have a little bit of oil blow by.

Keep the same OCI until you use good oil and have it tested by Blackstone Labs.

I'm using Amsoil Euorpean 5w-40 Full SAPS and currently have 7000 miles on the oil. I should have my results back from the lab today.

I have results from my Spec B so I kind of know what I'm doing.

You should also deside your next step.

Get it on a dyno and tuned

or

do the up grades then dyno and tune.

either way, Remove the EGT probe and plug the hole.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived