LegacyGT.com

Five Greatest Sleepers

Dujo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laughed at this:

For two years, Dodge offered the Caravan with a turbocharged 2.5-liter Turbo II four and a five-speed stick. Cranked to a moderate boost of 12 psi, a largely stock Caravan turbo can hit the quarter mile deep into the 12s. Imagine the depression you’d kick off handing somebody’s ass to them in a wood-paneled, seven passenger loser cruiser.

:lol:

I wouldn't get all that excited by being included in that list. I am pretty sure a dodge caravan turbo didn't run deep into the 12's with just upping the boost. I think the fact checking was a little lacking in the article.

They left out one of the best sleepers ever. The supercharged, AWD, Toyota Previa.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

turbo dodge colt with mt

dodge omni glhs shelby

Toyota fx16 (corolla?)

turbo dodge caravan was something else

dodge spirit turbo

ford Taurus sho mt the early years with the Yamaha engine, in Detroit, if you the right ppl you could order one without the logo embossed bumpers

notchback mustang lx mt stupid light with 5.0. Used to get them as rental cars in Detroit area

My list would include

Shelby Omni (no one expects an econobox to be fast especially back then. I suppose the caravan and other turbo dodge fall in this sleeper category.

86/87 Turbo Buicks. The Grand Nationals are pretty well known sleeper, but almost all car people know them. The non black versions are not nearly well known.

I have a GMC Syclone so I am little biased on Syclone/Typhoon. No one expects a lowered pickup with a body kit to be that quick. They are finicky though to modify.

The Mitsubishi Gallant VR4 would be on my list. Even the eclipse surprise me at how of those run 9 & 10's at the track for just being a 'sporty' car.

It's pretty hard to make a list of just 5 sleeper cars though.

My list would include

Shelby Omni (no one expects an econobox to be fast especially back then. I suppose the caravan and other turbo dodge fall in this sleeper category.

86/87 Turbo Buicks. The Grand Nationals are pretty well known sleeper, but almost all car people know them. The non black versions are not nearly well known.

I have a GMC Syclone so I am little biased on Syclone/Typhoon. No one expects a lowered pickup with a body kit to be that quick. They are finicky though to modify.

The Mitsubishi Gallant VR4 would be on my list. Even the eclipse surprise me at how of those run 9 & 10's at the track for just being a 'sporty' car.

It's pretty hard to make a list of just 5 sleeper cars though.

this: Mitsubishi Gallant VR4 and its dodge variant the "spirit".

You own a Syclone? :wub:

My driver's ed car was a turbo buick. I dont know who thought giving a bunch of teenage drivers a turbo car as their first drive was a good idea. I truly enjoyed every driving opportunity that summer. After the first drive, my instructor insisted on 1:1 instruction due to safety concerns. It seems I had a lead foot. :-)

ford Taurus sho mt the early years with the Yamaha engine,

I had an '89 5 spd with a bunch of SHO Shop goodies bolted on. Fun car. I loved surprising 5.0 stangs and IROC Z's. that Yamaha 3.0 was something else.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I wouldn't get all that excited by being included in that list. I am pretty sure a dodge caravan turbo didn't run deep into the 12's with just upping the boost. I think the fact checking was a little lacking in the article.

Stock 5-speed vans would run high 14's at just over 100mph. People commonly toss T2's on them, and PSD intercoolers. That, with drag radials, gets you into the 13's pretty easy.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I think the Fox Body mustang was definitely a sleeper. That 5.0 sounds good and hauls ass. Another exceptional car from the 90's I think is the miata. They are sport, fun, and can get up and go. $1700 gets you an 8psi turbo kit and 180hp on a 2300lbs car.

I am looking for a new car and have been driving 05 LGT's along with WRX's. Everything about the LGT is unexpected, it's properly quick and still smooth for as heavy as it is. This list is perfect IMO.

Toyota corolla &matrix xrs with the Yamaha 1.8L.

I hate the previas with a passion. My whole dealership knows I would put my 2 weeks in if they ever gave me another one to work on. Worst effin Toyota ever!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think the Fox Body mustang was definitely a sleeper. That 5.0 sounds good and hauls ass. Another exceptional car from the 90's I think is the miata. They are sport, fun, and can get up and go. $1700 gets you an 8psi turbo kit and 180hp on a 2300lbs car.

I am looking for a new car and have been driving 05 LGT's along with WRX's. Everything about the LGT is unexpected, it's properly quick and still smooth for as heavy as it is. This list is perfect IMO.

The Fox Body is not a sleeper by a long shot.

Archived