LegacyGT.com

Can this be tuned out?

driving

Ok so factory tune or so I'm guessing. My 05 LGT 5eat car has a 4 second delay upon mashing the gas. It does fine if in sport mode with 1st selected. But can one have this throttle delay tuned out?

4 seconds before you really feel the power, or 4 seconds before the revs start moving? I remember when stock if I mashed the gas from a stop the revs would climb very slowly at first then fly up after it got going... The ecu doesn't seem to like going from 0 throttle to 100%, if you ease onto the gas evenly instead of mashing it all at once it doesn't bog down so much. Or give it some gas when still on the brakes until the slack is out (car feels like it wants to move) and it will take off much faster... just don't give it too much or risk breaking something.

If you start at very low RPM (from an idle, for example) it's going to take some time to get the RPM up into a range where the turbocharger can really work well. 4 seconds sounds reasonable to me, if you're doing such an unreasonable "test." That's not turbo lag, that's just doing it wrong. :)

A better test would be to slowly accelerate up to 3000 RPM or so, and then stomp on the throttle. (Or 2500 RPM? I may have forgotten at what RPM the stock turbo wakes up.)

This is why drag racing is so hard on clutches. From a dead stop you have to rev up with the clutch pressed, then release the clutch without ever letting RPM drop. Or, in the case of automatic transmissions, you have to rev up with the trans in drive and your left foot on the brake... Then release the brake and mash the throttle. With either transmission, if RPM drops, the motor bogs and the acceleration is pathetic.

No rpm climb. It just takes four seconds to respond

Not racing its only in when in D and I have to make quick decision to go. It's like it starts in second gear the changes to first when it realizes I want all she's got.

I really feel like it is just the engine bogging down as normal... mine still does it even at stage 2, it just takes less time now... I will try and have someone take a video for me... OP have you tried replicating the delay? Does it do this if you apply slow even pressure to the throttle instead of mashing it down when you decide it is time to go? Try cruising at about 35 or 55 so it is in vacuum depending on what gear your are in. Then mash the gas all of a sudden. Most likely you will get the same delay before you notice it downshift then pull. Once this is confirmed try cruising at the same rpm (around 1800-2300 ish) then gradually push the accelerator down 1/4 of the way at first, then once it starts to pull give it a little more, then a little more until it is all the way down. I thought of you today when I wanted to pass someone and mashed the gas without thinking about it then almost missed my window as it took some time to get going.

Archived