LegacyGT.com

Starting Crank Noise

I have an 07 Spec B and for some reason on a regular basis it is making a horrible noise when i first start it. It almost sound like when you go to start a car and its already running. That crank noise that the starter makes. It is like the starter is not dis-engaging when it starts. Has anyone else had this issue and does it sound pretty serious?

A lot of us have had this issue, you have some time before the starter needs to be replaced. It normally happens only when its cold out. Seems above 30F it doesn't happen.

Mine made the noise for a couple of years before it began to happen a lot and would take a couple of try's to get it to engage the FW, that's when I had it replaced.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just replaced my starter with a used, but regreased one. I'll probably regrease my original too.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Yea, same thing here. Wondering if I should just get a new starter installed (about $340 including labor) or try that little solenoid contact replacement. I'm just so terrible at mechanically doing stuff haha (and I mean terribleeee)

If your thinking about doing the solenoid why would you pay someone $340 to replace the starter ? Just DIY.

Remove the tmic, battery cable, connector, two bolts and the starter is out.

If you've never removed the tmic, it's real easy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Removing the starter isn't too bad. Realistically you need to be able to come in from below the car for the lower starter bolt. I tried from above and it was a major PITA so I just jacked up the front driver corner, removed the wheel and all was good.

I just took everything apart cleaned and greased and installed. You need a torque wrench to get the two Phillips screws holding the solenoid on the starter off unless you want to replace them. I couldn't find screws so I used regular hex bolts. Now it'll be easier to remove them again as I can fit my 1/4" ratchet on them.

Edit: Almost forgot to add that if you have a newer car your starter won't have the plunger/contacts that you can simply replace. You would have to replace the solenoid unit. Since mine wasn't bad, just not releasing on time you just have to clean everything up, regrease it and then install. To make things go more smoothly, I purchased a used starter from a part out here and regeased that one and just swapped them... Made the swap only take about an hour where it owuld have been longer especially since I don't have a torque wrench and ended up stripping the screws! lol

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I have the same issue...starting happening for the first time this winter...only on days colder than 25 degrees or so. I've been successful in eliminating the grinding by stop turning the key like .5 second before normally stopping.

I figure I'll baby the starter until it completely fails...if that ever even happens.

• 1 year later...
I have the same issue...starting happening for the first time this winter...only on days colder than 25 degrees or so. I've been successful in eliminating the grinding by stop turning the key like .5 second before normally stopping.

I figure I'll baby the starter until it completely fails...if that ever even happens.

Well, this year my starter was grinding on every cold morning. Finally I got tired enough of it to do something. I pulled it out, and decided to buy the $100 autozone reman with a lifetime warranty.

But when I called them, they told me it would take 3-4 days to get the starter. Screw that!

So, I took it apart. All the old grease was dried up and looked like freakin sand! I cleaned all the old grease outta there, regreased it. And put it back in.

No more squealing at all! Success!

Archived