LegacyGT.com

Request Legacy STI from SOA

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?????

The legacy GT is a great car, with a mix of things that no other car has for the price.

If it is not selling up to expectations, there is something wrong with people.

If I had the cash, I would have the car. immediately.

Why isn't this car selling? Advertizing? Dealers? Lack of gadgetry features? For pete's sake it is the car of the year in other countries!

Personally, I'll buy one when I get a chance. Even if by then, I have to buy one of the few used ones available after subaru cancels it.

Subaru really needs to produce a Legacy 3.0R for the general public. That should help push models. It need not cost more than a 2.5GT model though. It could even be auto-only for the USDM as I don't know enough people would want sticks outside of some enthusiasts (which aren't truly enough.)

Subaru as a whole and most auto mfgs aren't doing too well for sales right now, or at least compared to what they want to be doing last time I looked, so Subaru isn't alone being off the horse.

I think if sales take off again based on rejuvenated and all new models like the Legacy platform, we may see some more STi models. But I think the lack of an H6 in a Legacy is really holding back sales potential of such a model as many really desire a 6-cylinder car in that price range. It doesn't matter if the turbo-4 is a great engine, better than the H6, with more torque, people still in general think turbos are like the old ones that used to break all the time and the more cylinders, the merrier.

I'd love an H6 twin-turbo or a 2.5L twin-scroll VF36 setup and with the rest of the car set up similar to the Spec B models abroad (though larger brakes may be nice and some 225/235 rubber along with the taller STi 6MT in the Forester STi.) The parts are almost all there, essentially off the shelf components. The biggest things to validate would be any changes to the engine.

Seriously, if we cant get the STi Legacy GT here in Australia, IMHO USA will have NO chance at all. We have the GT and 3.0R and both are selling well over the numbers expected but still........ No STi Legacy GT here in Oz.... M world is looking interesting though....

Adam.

if by some miracle subaru does bring out the legacy STi across the pond, methinks it wouldnt be for another 2-3 years. furthermore, i think the outcry for the STi isn't nearly as significant as there was for the wrx STi - that's a straight up street/rally car, where as the legacy is a sedan with a sporty drivetrain.

not to be a cack, but if you think an online petition is going to have any significant impact, you're living under a rock.

i love my legacy gt, as do the rest of us - however, the sales numbers on it arent mind blowing or anything to write home about. the wrx/STi is a niche market, the legacy STi is even more of a niche market in the states.

maybe they'd bring em out with a limited number being made. either way, i'd be in line to snatch one up.

I am not so sure about the Legacy STi being in a more niche market than the WRX STi, but I doubt that.

The WRX STi and Lancer Evolution are in a class of 2 in the US, of rally cars. (performance cars on economy car 4-door bodies, with AWD, handling, and huge power.)

The Legacy STi would be a more mainstream car, competing in the general sport sedan market, rather than a rally car.

Name one marque that doesn't have a sportier version of their 4 door offering?

Volvo R

Saab - used to with the viggen, not so much now, just Aero turbo models

Jag R, also

BMW - M

Mercedes - AMG

Infiniti - no special branding, but their G35 variants are performance oriented out of the box with >250HP out of the box.

Acura A-Spec, Type-S general performance image across the board

Lexus - IS and GS are generally marketed as sporty. New GS looks HAWT, BTW.

Mazda +speed,

Ford (we'll see with the upcoming Fusion)

Chrysler/Dodge - SRT models

Mitsubishi - RalliArt (especially RalliArt Gallant)

Saturn - Redline

Pontiac - GT, GTP, GXP, etc.

Chevy - SS models

Cadillac -V models

VW/Audi - Wolfsburg, GTI, GLI, S-line/S model.

Need I go on? (I think that might be all of them...)

Performance sedans are not nearly the niche market that Rally cars are.

However, there is a double edge to that, due to the competition of so many more vehicles in the market. That is when option content tends to make the differences stand out (splitting hairs, if you will), and the only area where the current legacy doesn't really beat the competition at it's price point.

I however do think that a well executed Legacy STi, with a healthy dose of power, say 375-410hp for less than 40k (preferably around 35k, actually) would be the sport sedan deal of the decade, and put the Legacy back on the map, and probably sell the GT a bit more, by association.

However, I think Colonel Angus is right, and a website petition by some fans who's sales are likely a bit taken for granted, isn't going to make the deal. Either the bean counters / marketing folks think it will help sales, or they don't. That is what it ultimately comes down to. I certainly hope they do. Performance sells cars, just as a rule.

LIke hell that'll fly when people aren't even buying the turbo ones:

http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml;VRX0DH1W3BATYCRBAEOCFEY?type=marketsNews&storyID=7617180

Probably 3% of people who sign would buy, I'd say.

You didn't read the whole report.

The down statistics were for global sales.

In the U.S. this is what the report goes on to say:

"In the United States, on the other hand, Takagi said Subaru expected to enjoy a continued rise in sales, although he warned that spending on discounts and other consumer incentives would likely rise on tough competition and higher U.S. interest rates.

Subaru's U.S. sales have risen by double digits for four of the last five months, with a slowdown last month to a seasonally adjusted 3 percent.

Takagi called January an aberration caused by the snowstorms in the U.S. Northeast, where its all-wheel-drive cars are popular, and said he expected brisk demand to resume this month.

"Sales in the first 10 days of February were up around 20 percent, and they should remain strong for a while," he said.

I am not so sure about the Legacy STi being in a more niche market than the WRX STi, but I doubt that.

The WRX STi and Lancer Evolution are in a class of 2 in the US, of rally cars. (performance cars on economy car 4-door bodies, with AWD, handling, and huge power.)

The Legacy STi would be a more mainstream car, competing in the general sport sedan market, rather than a rally car.

Name one marque that doesn't have a sportier version of their 4 door offering?

Volvo R

Saab - used to with the viggen, not so much now, just Aero turbo models

Jag R, also

BMW - M

Mercedes - AMG

Infiniti - no special branding, but their G35 variants are performance oriented out of the box with >250HP out of the box.

Acura A-Spec, Type-S general performance image across the board

Lexus - IS and GS are generally marketed as sporty. New GS looks HAWT, BTW.

Mazda +speed,

Ford (we'll see with the upcoming Fusion)

Chrysler/Dodge - SRT models

Mitsubishi - RalliArt (especially RalliArt Gallant)

Saturn - Redline

Pontiac - GT, GTP, GXP, etc.

Chevy - SS models

Cadillac -V models

VW/Audi - Wolfsburg, GTI, GLI, S-line/S model.

Need I go on? (I think that might be all of them...)

Performance sedans are not nearly the niche market that Rally cars are.

However, there is a double edge to that, due to the competition of so many more vehicles in the market. That is when option content tends to make the differences stand out (splitting hairs, if you will), and the only area where the current legacy doesn't really beat the competition at it's price point.

I however do think that a well executed Legacy STi, with a healthy dose of power, say 375-410hp for less than 40k (preferably around 35k, actually) would be the sport sedan deal of the decade, and put the Legacy back on the map, and probably sell the GT a bit more, by association.

However, I think Colonel Angus is right, and a website petition by some fans who's sales are likely a bit taken for granted, isn't going to make the deal. Either the bean counters / marketing folks think it will help sales, or they don't. That is what it ultimately comes down to. I certainly hope they do. Performance sells cars, just as a rule.

you have a point, however, most of the cars in that list like bmw, volvo, saab, jag...all those except the saturn, are all premium brands - more noticable, and held to a higher standard than say a subaru, so of course they're going to bring out performance models.

now, if the legacy line enjoyed more of a market share in terms of sales volume (on top of what they currently sell), and the outcry by the numbers were significant, then perhaps we would see subaru bring the STi here, like they did with the wrx STi.

in my opinion, a legacy STi could be a very decent seller - aside from upping the ante that the legacy gt brings to the table, it would be an even more balanced model - higher performance, with an even more balanced suspension that gives you the performance you need, while bringing you that smooth ride, as well as offering more options.

perhaps subaru's on the right track with the '05 legacy and outbacks. the styling is definitely a significant improvement even over it's '04 counterpart - it feels like the difference between night and day.

i do have a question that kind of relates to all of this: how long did japan have a turbocharged impreza/wrx before we got it across the pond? up till now, how long has japan had a turbo charged legacy?

I wouldn't underestimate the pull that an online petition would have for such a thing. VWVortex.com petitioned VW of America for the R32 and said that they wanted it for under $30k. VW has resisted bringing any of thier Rallye series cars Stateside for decades but quite specifically because of the petition and the thousands of people who responded to it, VW imported it to the US with an MSRP of $28k.

That aside, I do think that the Legacy STi would be a viable model for sales in the US but I also think that we should feel grateful for having the Legacy GT and XT models respectively. And as for the high performing models that other manufacturers produce, let us not forget that many of them tailor these models to the US Market which often requires that they completely change the drivetrain and/or the powerplant. The S8 in the states does not have the twin turbo 4.2 liter V8 that the previous generation had in Europe. Only recently did we start to see the top of the line RS6 and we still don't have an RS4 from the previous chassis or this one. I did see an RS4 on the streets here once but I have yet to see the car on the sales lot. Trust me, the VAG guys whine about not getting many of the RS series cars from Audi.

Then there is BMW. The E36 generation M3 came with a much lower rated inline 6 with a rated output of 240hp instead of the European/Japanese model which was rated at 313. Only as recently as the E46 generation chassis did we see the highest output iteration of the famed 3.2 liter inline 6 that those across the great pond have been enjoying for years on end. Interestingly enough, we did get the full output inline 6 in a few of the last M Coupes and M Roadsters but that was only for a couple of model years.

Many doubted whether Subaru would ever be able to successfully sell the WRX here much less the STi and now the Forester XT and Legacy GT/XT. I'm just as likely to see soccer moms driving a WRX as I am any other segment of the population. I have no doubt that this would easily translate to the current generation Legacy turbo models as it has every other kind of Subaru on the road.

Hell. I'm one of many people that has been anxiously watching Subaru over the years in the hope that they would bring these wonderful works of engineering to our shores. I drove a 2.5 RS back in the late 90's with the hope that it would have some kind of substantial punch. Needless to say, I walked away from that one in disgust. I hopped into my GTI VR6 and drove away shaking my head. And then Subaru did the unthinkable. They actually brought the WRX to our shores. I was ecstatic but not in a place where I would be buying a new car just then.

Then just by chance, I went onto thier site late last year and what did I see? A Turbo Legacy and it looked really nice! Now being a family man, I needed the space and the AWD would be great for Colorado winters. On a whim, I went to the local dealer and drove one. I went home in it that night and now have a Cobb Stage II Legacy on STi Pinks.

I always thought I would be a VAG guy or at least a German car guy but the Legacy sold me instantly. How is that for how the Legacy has affected sales? I don't know that I would have bought a WRX but the Legacy GT was perfect. I actually snub other model cars that I used to admire because of how excellent the LGT is.

I could go on but let me just say from someone who has long admired this marque but never bought into it that the Subaru faithful have persuaded them to bring us some fantastic cars that they never would have even considered no more than 10 or 15 years ago. And thus far, my experience with the LGT has been influential enough that my wife would now like an Outback XT to grace our garage as well.

Why isn't the car selling as well as it should? I presume we are talking about the lesser models than the GT since the GT and 3.0R are special cases that require special attention. The price is OK but the power and standard features provided are simply not on par with the equivalents, in particular the Mazda 6 and Honda Accord Euro. Furthermore, the whole Legacy range miss the sparkle of the equivalents, and to be honest is boring looking at a few angles. It didn't stop me buying the GT because, one I could afford it and two, the extra standard features, and the exhilarating performance and handling made up most of the disappointing elements. There’s no way I would have bought a lesser car in the Legacy range – I would have far preferred the Honda or Mazda equivalents at the same price. Also, the mainstream public can't all afford a GT. Hence the lack of significant market share for Subaru. All this can be fixed fairly easily though without too much extra cost to Subaru. Not sure they have the inspiration and foresight to do this though. It’s a shame as they make dam good cars mechanically.

I have been waiting for the STi Legacy/Liberty GT to raise its head now for 2 years.

BOYS, ITS A PIPE DREAM, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.... PERIOD.

Adam.

i dunno... it fits in with subaru's new US market direction

we said the same exact thing about A: the WRX comming b: the STI comming

i dunno... it fits in with subaru's new US market direction

we said the same exact thing about A: the WRX comming b: the STI comming

true about the WRX and WRX STi, but all they did was modify the existing versions and brought them over. problem with the "Legacy STi" (i'm talking about the current gen. of Legacy) is it doesn't even exist anywhere, yet. i won't expect to see any such thing in at least 1 yr, unless you are talking about the Spec.B....

This Space For Rent

Well you answer your own question didn't you.

No, not really. I specified why my desire for the car is not considered demand.

Economic demand is both the means and the desire to purchase a product. I have half of that, so I am not considered demand.

The question is, why isn't the demand that does exist in the market supporting more unit sales? The vehicle is sound, maybe a little down on the available options list, but a good car nonetheless.

Actually, I know that firsthand now. I finally went into the dealer and requested a test drive, and got one. A regal blue on black GT limited sedan, with a 5MT of course.

Now I want one more than ever, but that doesn't change the issue that I can't afford a car right now. damn. The car is just smooth. Like buttah.

The thing just wanted to take off under a little load at about 3k. It only had 50 miles on it, and since it will become someone else's car sometime soon, I lifted at 4k, even though it was trying to take off. Smooth and quiet. did I mention smooth?

I hope the Legacy GT sells well, and does engender an even higher performance car to raise subaru's game.

Um sorry to say BUT the STi itself in the States, come to think of it the GT isn't doing too crash hot on sales. Sorry to say it guys but if we dont get it downunder and NZ doesn't even get it, you guys seriously have got no chance.

Look if it did happen it would be fantastic. As I said previously, Ive so wanted this car for two years, even offered to put a deposit down on the STiGT, the comment back to me was, how can you put a deposit on a STiGT when it doesn't exist..... he had a point, hence I've been seriously looking at M's.

Great to see ppl are keepin the dream alive but it wont happen. Why doesn't USA get the STOVE HOT versions of the WRX STi ?????? same reason, they wont sell.

Adam.

• 2 years later...

Archived