LegacyGT.com

Subaru XV Crosstrek hybrid to debut at New York Auto Show

Picky1

Sounds like Toyota and Subaru are starting to share more and more.....

Subaru will unveil a hybrid version of its XV Crosstrek small crossover at the New York Auto Show next week.

The car will be Subaru's first gasoline-electric vehicle and employ technology based on Toyota Motor Corp.'s hybrid system.

Subaru did not say when the car hits showrooms but the company has promised first deliveries sometime this year.

Also making a world debut in New York will be a concept version of a new performance model, Subaru says.

Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd., the parent company of the Subaru brand, declined to provide other details. But it released a photo of the hybrid XV Crosstrek in bright lime green.

Facing tougher emissions regulations, Subaru is rolling out hybrid technology to lift fuel economy in a fleet traditionally heavy on SUVs, crossovers and all-wheel-drive vehicles.

Subaru hasn't disclosed details of its hybrid system. But its hybrid concept cars over the years have sported an all-wheel-drive layout mated to the electrified drivetrain.

I remember reading post of speculations of an electric power steering, and some ides of an electric turbo charger?

The 5th gen Legacy already has an electric power steering, so that's not new.

Electrically driven forced induction - well, that's a bit different, but I straight away thinks of this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyR0U_fYtwY]leaf blower bolt on turbo - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

I talked to two factory engineers and a salesperson who will man the Subaru 'cube' at the NYAS on Tuesday. All confirmed the 'performance model' that will be unveiled is indeed the WRX we see here. And no 2.0 DIT for the USDM Impreza/XV/Legacy anytime soon. Sux Sux sux.

Unfortunately, the Subaru hybrid isn't really all that good. Subaru basically had two options:

1) Use Toyota's hybrid design, which would have meant designing an all-new AWD system from scratch.

2) Use an existing CVT+AWD, but this limits you to very small electric motors. Subaru went with this option.

In the Toyota design, the electric motor direct drives the wheels through a planetary gear set. The advantage is that you can use any size electric motor and its inherently a CVT. As a result the newest generation Pruis is running a 100 HP electric motor. The more electric motor you use, the better your fuel economy. This also allows for plug-in options, and electric only modes.

Honda uses an electric motor connected to the transmission, which limits them to <20 HP electric motors. Honda hybrids just aren't competitive as a result.

It seems like Subaru is using a similar implementation to Honda so they could retain AWD. Toyota doesn't have an AWD hybrid so that makes sense. The existing Toyota "AWD" hybrids have an electric motor on the rear axle, but there's no drivetrain linkage.

I suspect it'll get about +3 mpg compared with a base XV. Good, but certainly not competitive with the latest generation FWD hybrids.

Thx RabidWombat. Spot on. All the specs and estimated MPG (or km/l) figures are there on the official site for the Hybrid. Pathetic MPG gains, very little HP increase too (10-15HP electric motor, tiny and integrated with the CVT, like you said).

Its great that Subaru is finally developing/offering a hybrid, but this isn't going to do them much good. Especially with a pricetag uptick of a few K on a 20K car. Sign me up... riiiight.

I'd rather just buy the base 2.0i and for that same few Ks, pickup the Raptor supercharger kit or get an Ecutek tune (wake the 2.0i up a bit @ 160-170HP) and still have enough cash for some cometic or suspension upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Prototype (Motor Trend)

We hear the hybrid will see a noticeable city improvement, but only a slight highway one - around 28/34 mpg.

By sharing its Active Torque Split, and Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with the gas version, the Hybrid offers equal capability and utility and can lean on the extra 13-odd horsepower from the electric motor when the car needs some more herbs. Why does that matter? Because the stock XV's 2.0-liter engine does not quicken the pulse rate by any stretch of the imagination, but the extra acceleration the motor provides improves performance to an acceptable level.
The Hybrid's slightly stiffer spring rates give the car a firmer feel on the road without being detrimental to the ride quality. The car rolls less in corners and feels more stable in a straight line. But it's the tighter steering gear ratio, lowered from 16:1 to 14:1, that gives the Hybrid something that makes it feel more like a Subaru. It turns in quicker with less effort, good steering feel, and just the right amount of road feedback.

Archived