LegacyGT.com

You know that tranny noise... I found mine

Andreu

a while ago i, and a couple of other people posted topics stating their tranny making a sound similar to the one found in this youtube video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGo3wz6t8Jk&feature=related]Subaru WRX Whine - 4th + 5th Gear - YouTube[/ame]

Well finally last week my TOB started to scream for attention so i caved in and got a big service. the following was replaced:

TOB

Clutch disk and pressure plate

Flywheel bearing

Input and output shaft bearing (AKA main shaft bearing?)

Along with a half shaft and a rear wheel bearing (Ohio pot holes)

Anyways the output shaft bearing was the culprit to the whining sound you hear in that youtube video. For the visually stimulated forum goers i will post pics of the bad bearings i got back..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How long did you wait and roughly how much was that? ? I have some noise right now that can almost mirror that

The sound popped up sometime last year in November or december after I checked my starter motor one night. So a little under a year. I had people tell me I'm crazy and even one "friend" told me that noise was normal. It cost around 700 to drop my tranny and both the input and output shaft bearings were between $20-$50 I believe. I'll have to check my records. So between 800-1000 to fix

The sound popped up sometime last year in November or december after I checked my starter motor one night. So a little under a year. I had people tell me I'm crazy and even one "friend" told me that noise was normal. It cost around 700 to drop my tranny and both the input and output shaft bearings were between $20-$50 I believe. I'll have to check my records. So between 800-1000 to fix

But why is the output shaft making that sound though that is my question? Because it is night and day from when I dropped my car off at the shop to get the clutch/flywheel replaced and taking it home. Should I wait a little longer until it fully breaks in to see if it goes away?

Archived