LegacyGT.com

thinking of swapping my 2.5i for a GT

so I have had my 09 2.5i for about 3 months or so but I just really want that extra power (want to do the AVO turbo kit for a sick sleeper but that is going to be too much work/$$$), but recently saw an 08 GT that has the same value as my car does for trade-in, so I could get it pretty easily. Only thing is, the GT has 30k more miles (it has 72k, whereas my 2.5i has 40k). I know how subaru's work and know they seem to have certain things break at a certain amount of miles so does anyone think that extra 30k would be a bad thing? The dealer says it has a clean carfax and title so it sounds good but I just don't know.

so basically the question is should I go for it?

Also, does anyone have an idea at how much my insurance will raise if I switch? I'm hoping not as much as if I were to buy an STi or something...

Thanks

Nyles

I was in the exact same situation as you. I traded in my 09 2.5i with 20k miles for an 08 GT with 60k miles. I'm glad I did bought it CPO because the transmission died after 1500 mikes. Replaced under warranty. Aside from that... I'm glad I switched. The GT is so much more lively.

You can call you insurance company and they can tell you exaclty what it would be. Also unless you paid cash I would have to imagine you would be rolling over negative equity if you just bought your 09 3 months ago. 2nd, you still need to factor in your going back a year and adding 32000 milkes, chances are for a loan you are going to look at a higher interest rate for an 08 vs 09. Most banks and CU's give a better rate on newer cars 08 was/is the cutoff for 2012 so I am not sure yet if buying an 09 this year would also be old. I would say enjoy the 2.5i for what it is, maybe upgrade suspension and brakes and pay that sucker off as quick as you can, again if you have a loan on it.

^I paid with cash (well actually a check), so the car is completely mine and paid off.

sounds like I'll give state farm a call today then the dealership. I really do want to just mod the 2.5i, but after extensive research I'd say about 90% of the forum believes I should just trade in for a GT. not to mention I want to get away from a 4 speed into a 5 speed EAT, that 5th gear helps a lot for gas mileage on long highway cruises.

Ok, well that helps, but ofcourse 3 months ago you paid retail, and now you would get trade in value. I would maybe consider trying to sell Private Party to save the bleeding. But yes State Farm can tell you what it would cost. I actually use to be an Insurance Agent in Lakewood CO

this is true, the GT I am looking at is worth about 800-1k less than my 2.5i was when I bought it. So hopefully I can just convince the dealer on a straight up trade (I can also mention the fact that 09 2.5i's sell like hot cakes, especially in CO). However, this is all only if the GT is in as good of condition as they say it is, I'll have to see for myself.

I think it's just because they don't look at the legacy GT differently than the 2.5i in terms of it being anything else than just a legacy.

next question, are the 08 GT wheels the same tire size as the 09 2.5i? I'd imagine so since they're both 17" but am unsure. just want to make sure I can keep my snow tires for the GT.

• I Donated
next question, are the 08 GT wheels the same tire size as the 09 2.5i? I'd imagine so since they're both 17" but am unsure. just want to make sure I can keep my snow tires for the GT.

The GT needs 17" or larger wheels to clear the front brakes. That's really the only requirement. Also, I believe the 06-09 2.5i wheels are identical to the 05-06 GT ones.

The GT needs 17" or larger wheels to clear the front brakes. That's really the only requirement. Also, I believe the 06-09 2.5i wheels are identical to the 05-06 GT ones.

so the tires on my 09 2.5i 5-spoke wheels (the same as 05-06 LGT's) will fit on the different 6-spoke 08 GT wheels? that's really all I'm concerned about, don't wanna deal with selling these fresh tires just to buy different ones

If you dont owe on your current car its a good idea if you owe on your car youll need a decent amount of cash up front to make the deal of worth. Anyhow ive seen some LGTs in the lower teens and wanted to jump but im waiting for that special Spec.B to go on the block under $20K i figured (KBB trending :lol:) 2014 makes the 08/09 5 or 6 years old. Ill take a LGT but since ive been waiting I may as well 6MT!

• I Donated
so the tires on my 09 2.5i 5-spoke wheels (the same as 05-06 LGT's) will fit on the different 6-spoke 08 GT wheels? that's really all I'm concerned about, don't wanna deal with selling these fresh tires just to buy different ones

Why don't you buy another set of 17"s? They're only like $300, and you won't have to get tires mounted and balanced twice a year.

But yes, I believe they are both 17x7.

yes they will

same size/offset

I do want to get an extra set, but then once I go to spend 300 bones I have a feeling it'd go to a nice CAI or something haha. but thanks guys, good to know I can keep me extra set of summer tires along with my snow tires.

If all looks good when I go to look at it this just may actually happen. stoked! the GT is black w/black leather too, yummmm.

it was more of an example. 300 could go to a bunch of things haha.

For an LGT $300 should be put towards a proper tune;)

Just saying you need to get in that state of mind, there is a reason even Subaru stop making CAIs for their own cars,........:lol:

I previously owned a 09 2.5i SE and loved it...although my previous car was a 308whp and 301 wtq project mitsubishi lancer oz rally (12 second car) and a 98 integra GSR, my 09 subaru was a big step up to maturing and safety for sure. I had issues with my 09 and was considered a lemon sort of. I got myself into a 08 LGT Limited and loving it so much! You will not be disappointed and will enjoy every moment of it...i do miss my harman hardon system from my 09 though...but i pay 70 bux a month statefarm full coverage in Illinois =)

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Archived