LegacyGT.com

Where to after the LGT?

What to do?

After 12 years of happy ownership, I’ve come to realize that my 2005 LGT LTD, the best car I’ve ever owned in 48 years, needs to be replaced. But where do I find a car that will replace it? Nothing in the showrooms now offers the combination of all-wheel drive, size, styling, power, sophistication, genuine sport heritage, brand identity and in my area at least, rarity that the LGT offers. I LOVE this car!

I’ve always been attracted to the idea of the “Q” ship or "sleeper"; a normal looking car that has genuine GO credentials that only those “in the know” are aware of, until it surprises someone of course. A friend’s ‘69 Mini Cooper S was the first “Q” I knew. My ’72 debadged and destriped Z-28 with a vinyl roof was my own personal first, followed by a Plymouth Valiant Scamp 340. When I bought the LGT new in 2005 it felt like a grown-up’s WRX.

My ’05 LGT still gets appreciative and knowledgeable nods from people who know what it is; “Oooh, a GT! - Nice!” The service guys at my Subaru dealership, which I visit infrequently, know the car and always comment on it. “Oh yes, the GT” they say as I arrive. On the rare occasion that I see another LGT on the road, there's usually a wave or a nod between us.

So here’s the dilemma: what do I get to replace it? There’s no 2017 Legacy GT or anything close to it. Not interested in feeding a 3.6L six; that's not a grown-up WRX, it's an old man’s car and I’m only 68! I need the room in the Legacy and I drive lots of Interstate so I appreciate its 110 inch wheelbase. After driving Subaru’s AWD through the last 12 Quebec winters I don’t want anything but AWD. Don’t send me to Audi, there’s been one too many of those overpriced s**t-boxes in my family for the last 4 years.

I apologize for the long post - mostly venting my sadness and frustration but I’m open to suggestions.

2025610750_LGTLTD2005.jpg.ce401599dd29a806b434dd0a406c77f6.jpg

It might not be for everyone but I've been infatuated with the Alpha Romeo Giulia for some time now. The Quadrifoglio would be amazing but is pricey. But the Guilia Ti AWD is relatively affordable. Problem for me is that it is not offered in a manual here in the US. Not sure about Canada (I'm guessing not). May not necessarily fit the "sleeper" requirement, but if you don't need a manual tranny it may be worth a look.

01-2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-fd-1.jpg.a6c120f5b09866a25ac71fceb766f413.jpg

Not sure what your budget is, but for me, the next step up is a Polestar Volvo or an Audi S3. Bother are similar size to the LGT and make about as much power/tq as tuned stage 2 cars. The S3 I *think* is haldex AWD instead of a true AWD like a Subaru, and the Volvo may be the same.

Get a 2009 Spec.B :D

Or a 2010-2012 Legacy GT

or just spend the money you would on a new car fixing up your current car if it still (and it sounds like it does) fit your needs.

I thought of doing that; would probably cost less than a year of payments for a new car. But there's always that thing that you didn't fix that could break down on the Interstate. It's still an option.

I hadn't thought of looking for a 2012 GT. Not sure they were sold in Canada. Maybe I could find one in the US and import it.

BMW? With X-drive - but not an M?

I can't think of anything with the same sleeper status as the GT. Debadged M5 maybe ... they're really generic looking but go like stink.

How new does it need to be? Focus RS?

It's going to be new or my own fixed up. I'd rather fix a car I know than buy someone else's headaches.

It might not be for everyone but I've been infatuated with the Alpha Romeo Giulia for some time now. The Quadrifoglio would be amazing but is pricey. But the Guilia Ti AWD is relatively affordable. Problem for me is that it is not offered in a manual here in the US. Not sure about Canada (I'm guessing not). May not necessarily fit the "sleeper" requirement, but if you don't need a manual tranny it may be worth a look.

Ya, I like the Alfas too but they're out of my price range in AWD.

Not sure what your budget is, but for me, the next step up is a Polestar Volvo or an Audi S3. Bother are similar size to the LGT and make about as much power/tq as tuned stage 2 cars. The S3 I *think* is haldex AWD instead of a true AWD like a Subaru, and the Volvo may be the same.

I like the Polestar but it's almost twice the price of the top of the line Legacy. As for the A3, my daughter's new A3 went through a turbo and a transmission in the first few years and is burning a quart of oil every 1,000 km (600 miles) at less than 50,000 miles. Audi says that's normal consumption.

What about the Cadillac ATS? Can be had in multiple engine variants, all of which seem to be decently quick. Unfortunately I don't think you can get the V in AWD, but that's pretty sleep in my opinion, a Caddy that does 0-60 in under 4 seconds????

The ATS does not have AWD MT model or an AWD ATS-V.

Have you thought about a new WRX? This current generation is often bashed for looking like Corolla with a hoodscoop. (I personally like it.) It's not exactly a sleeper but similar in size to your LGT and checks off a lot of the same boxes.

The Guilia is sexy. I didn't even know about it until seeing it up close and revolving on a platform at last weeks Vancouver international autoshow.

Or how about a Taurus SHO? Twin-turbo V6 in a car that definitely doesn't stand out, but people who know it will give you some good looks. I think it can be had new for about 40k in the states.

+1 on the Taurus show, a modern day sleeper.

How about the new Chevy Impala SS?

The ATS does not have AWD MT model or an AWD ATS-V.

Have you thought about a new WRX? This current generation is often bashed for looking like Corolla with a hoodscoop. (I personally like it.) It's not exactly a sleeper but similar in size to your LGT and checks off a lot of the same boxes.

Yeah, the new WRX/STI are almost the same size - especially inside. Which is why it's kind of the "default" next car for me - need legroom in the back for kids..

To me a Taurus feels like a boat and I drive a larger 5th Gen. They also have really poor outward visibility.

I haven't even considered the Taurus; it seems like a big, heavy car that might handle poorly. I just checked the Ford site and AWD only comes in the SHO which is almost 20k more than the Legacy. Out of my price range.

I haven't even considered the Taurus; it seems like a big, heavy car that might handle poorly. I just checked the Ford site and AWD only comes in the SHO which is almost 20k more than the Legacy. Out of my price range.

You should be able to find $5-10k off on a leftover 2016.. Even new 2017s are often available with $5k off..

I sat in the Taurus, but it suffered from the crazy "super center console" fad that I hate, where they make the central console from the steering while down to around the shifter wider and wider and leave almost no leg/knee room.. It's a huge car, but it's smaller inside than the Legacy in some ways..

Off the top of my head, I can think of two sections for this thread to be placed - Pre purchase questions/Other cars vs the Legacy.

Excuse my first post, I was lost in the glitz and glam on this topic of interest and bumped a thread that isn't churning out any photos related the 2005-2009 Legacy. Maybe the passive agressive nature of the posts didn't help in making that clear.

I bumped it again....shame on me.

I just bumped it again.....shame on me.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two sections for this thread to be placed - Pre purchase questions/Other cars vs the Legacy.

Excuse my first post, I was lost in the glitz and glam on this topic of interest and bumped a thread that isn't churning out any photos related the 2005-2009 Legacy. Maybe the passive agressive nature of the posts didn't help in making that clear.

I bumped it again....shame on me.

I just bumped it again.....shame on me.

What are you talking about? There is a picture of his Legacy in the first post. It's all of us fools who are just responding with words that are ruining it.

I was going to say Audi but then I read the last line of your post. My dad has been daily driving a 2005 A8L for the past 8 years and loves it. He's only looking to get rid of it to go to a diesel E250 Mercedes or Tesla Model S as his commute has changed recently. My mom has a 2010 A6 Avant that she absolutely loves as well. Both cars have been problem free except for a bent trunk hinge on the A8L caused by someone manually closing the trunk rather than using the auto close function. User error. Timing chain on it was somewhat expensive as the whole front end had to come apart but for how comfortable the car it it was worth it to my dad to get it done rather than sell the car.

It's unfortunate that you have had such poor luck in your family with Audis. I guess the other thing I could suggest that would be similar size wise to a Legacy and have AWD is a Mercedes E class 4-matic.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Off the top of my head, I can think of two sections for this thread to be placed - Pre purchase questions/Other cars vs the Legacy

Absolutely right. I posted this in the wrong section and didn't realize it until the next day. My mistake and sorry. I thought a forum moderator might move it for me.

On the topic, I appreciate the feedback everyone has given. Other than the suggestions to buy a used car, the options are all way out of my price range. Doesn't that say something about what a great value the LGT was?

Right now I'm leaning toward putting a few thousand into "restoring" my '05 and hoping the turbo doesn't fail and take out the engine. Or that the 5EAT doesn't fail on me.

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated!

Have you considered a new WRX? It's almost the same size as your LGT (within a couple of inches), has lots of options, comes in 6-speed or CVT (I hear it's actually pretty good!), similar power, AWD, etc..

This is a puzzler, isn't it? :icon_ques

I've been thinking maybe the VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion with six-speed manual might work. It is a made in Mexico VW, which has its own issues, though.

On the other hand, all those WRXs out there have many parts that interchange with the LGT, which means the old girl could be kept going quite a while.

I kind of like older cars, maybe I'll take a fling on a classic and rebuild it when I retire. The modern trend of making the car an Ipod on wheels does nothing for me.

Archived