LegacyGT.com

05LGT Won't start without pressing gas pedal.

Hi All, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with a problem on my stock 2005 LGT.

In the past few weeks, whenever I try to start the car, the starter will crank the engine over and over, but it won't start....until I floor the gas pedal, then it'll take a few more turns and it will start up. When it does this, I usually see a nice spew of white smoke from the tail pipe.

I've checked the air intake for blockages, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the MAF. There hasn't been any CEL codes yet.

Anyone have a suggestion what to check next?? Thanks!

These are throttle by wire cars. Holding down the pedal will close the throttle plate all the way to put it in flooded mode. you may have injector leakdown. Smell the white smoke if you can, if it is sweet smelling you have a coolant leak into the combustion chamber.

fuel pump

Any advice on how to confirm it is, in fact, the fuel pump?

These are throttle by wire cars. Holding down the pedal will close the throttle plate all the way to put it in flooded mode. you may have injector leakdown. Smell the white smoke if you can, if it is sweet smelling you have a coolant leak into the combustion chamber.

Thanks for the help. Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by injector leakdown? Also, would a coolant leak into the combustion chamber be due to a bad head gasket?

Archived