LegacyGT.com

Changed thermostat, now idle is irregular

I don't know if they're related or not. The other day my temp. gauge shot way up so I pulled over and shut it down. The radiator was empty and the reservoir was full to the brim. I changed the thermostat with an OEM Subaru one today. Bled the system pretty well I think.

But I'm getting the occasional dip in idle speed. When I start the engine it revs up to 1k, then drops to about 700 as usual. Every so often it will dip to 600 or so for 5-10 seconds. The EGR valve doesn't close (open? idk) when it does this, but it acts like it would if you closed the EGR valve by hand.

No codes either. It's also been running unusually rough for a couple of weeks now. I took it on a roadtrip and about 200mi in it started. It's fine at speed, but when idling it shakes a bit, noticeably more than it used to.

I don't know if these things are related or not but I'm going to search the forums and tinker with it a bit.

I'm getting an EGR code now and then, although the valve works fine. I might change the O2 sensors or whatever those things are that are stuck on the strut tower.

When I first started it after filling it with coolant I forgot to reattach the intake assembly (I had cleaned it), so it threw a P0100, but I cleared it and reattached it. All of my vacuum lines are good and connected properly.

The AC button could be on, it doesn't work and is pretty low on my to do list. I haven't even looked at it tbh.

No bubbles in the coolant but one day when I checked it there were 2 small bubbles (cold). They haven't come back and I have no other signs of headgasket problems. It's a 2.2 but I'm not ruling it out since it's had a hard life (and this one is in good shape, lol)

Gonna look at the AC then try IACV first since it's the easiest. It doesn't leak coolant in general, and it wasn't the other day.

Thermostat is keeping the temp under control though, so at least that problem is solved.

Archived