LegacyGT.com

Custom Built Exhaust

NateWA

Would there be any downsides to having a good quality stainless custom built catback put on a LGT? Im wondering because you wouldnt really know how it sounded untill it was done, but can one of these cars sound bad? Theres a local shop in my area called Stillbuilt Motorsports, www.stillbuiltmotorsports.com and from the pics on the site they do beautiful work. If you went say a 3 inch stainless shouldnt it be just as good as the expensive aftermarket brands? i guess what type of mufflers were used would probably be the biggest factor.... and anybody know how a straight-piped lgt sounds?

There is no real downside other than cost and time. An exhaust is not all that complicated. Having something built with mandrel bends in all stainless is not cheap. I've built an exhaust and given the choice I would pick the pre-made exhaust every time.

Any car can sound bad.

like you said it all depends on the mufflers being used. For the most part all aftermarket exhaust setups are pretty much straight piped. From the DP you will have a resonator then from there it goes to the mufflers. Cant get much more straight than that.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

i dont have mufflers on mine. I took them off. I can tell you this. If you do away with the resonator and cats your going to have one loud popping cackleing exhaust.

OTM.

who is the one that i am thinking of rich. The one with the stars on his car? Anyways if you look at some of his posts he has a exhaust coming out the side right after the DP. Really loud. The kids in te video are holding there ears and all. i will try to find it when i am done.

OTM.

Had a straight piped STi in the shop a week or two ago. He had a muffler shop straight pipe on his car when he came in and the stock DP. With the stock DP in place it wasn't too bad. Loud for sure, but not hellishly bad. When the catless DP went on it was absolutely ear splitting loud, as in no way he could have driven by a cop and not gotten pulled over. I ended up grabbing an old Sebring muffler out of the junk pile and welding it on. Much better. Still loud but livable. The customer was happy.

As for a custom exhaust, if you go to a good shop and use good quality mandrel bent SS tubing and mufflers they can turn out very nicely. However, if you use the same high grade of material that is in most off the shelf catbacks the cost can end up being higher with the custom job.

I had a custom built on my WRX...all 3" mandrel bent: 1x18" resonator Y'd into 2-3"x12" mufflers (twin tip). Coupled with a Borla header and a TurboXS DP and no cat. Sounded better than a small block V8! Really deep and throaty. Was measured at 112 db at 4300rpm (SAE test).

On my LGT, I used the same TXS DP but I installed an HF cat. Then I had a 3" catback built with an 18" resonator Y'd into a 3" Magnaflow on one side and the other outlet has NO muffler...only my electric cutout in-line. When the cutout is open, there is no restriction on the pass. side tube. It is pretty loud when opened and relatively quiet when closed, as then all the exhaust is forced to flow through the Magnaflow. I was going for power and not sound, so I installed a GPMoto EQ header, which eliminates the "Boxer Rumble" but seems to make power. The power feels like it's there, but it sounds like a Honda on steroids.

The catback cost me $400 without the electric cutout...it's not SS and the bends are crush type, but the 3" pipe is big and the bends are pretty shallow, so the flow is fine.

Muffler.JPG.b51994d81101485db73ca00a436f1d93.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived