LegacyGT.com

Strange sound from 2.5i exhaust

Today I drove 200+ miles from Longview, WA to Bellingham,WA.(non-stop) After shutting the car off and letting it cool for a few hours I got back in it to run some errands. I stared the engine and it sounded like it was misfiring/ backfiring/ not getting fuel. It's a strange noise and I have a video of it. I'll be going to the dealer ASAP. :confused:

Mods: LED light bar, Amplifier. subwoofer, and K&N filter. ( these shouldn't have and influence on the engine, but in the spirit of full disclosure I listed them)

Feel free to speculate on potential problems.

that doesnt sound right. On my previous legacy it made a sound like that and i gave the pipe a little shake with my hand which cleared it up. i thought it might have been debris or dirt messing with the acoustics.

that doesnt sound right. On my previous legacy it made a sound like that and i gave the pipe a little shake with my hand which cleared it up. i thought it might have been debris or dirt messing with the acoustics.

I held the pipe with and the sound didn't change. I also checked the license plate, mud flaps, and trunk. Not change. I really hope it isn't in the valve train.

I took it in this morning and they(dealer) said that it is running lean to get the cat. converter up to operating temp and that it was normal and should only last a max of 2 min. Well half an hour later it was still doing it. So I had them come out to listen and show them that it was at operating temp they finally agreed that it was an abnormal sound. It goes in tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens next.

While I'm not a 6th gen owner, that noise sounds normal to me. My car has made that sound lots of times over the past 6yrs/170k. Just a Subaru and possibly PZEV quirk to me. Sounds like vibration to me by the way.

While I'm not a 6th gen owner, that noise sounds normal to me. My car has made that sound lots of times over the past 6yrs/170k. Just a Subaru and possibly PZEV quirk to me. Sounds like vibration to me by the way.

Don't know what it sounds like, but I know it DOESN'T sound like my 2.5i 6th Gen, cold, hot or lukewarm.

I've been listening to the vid on my phone so maybe that's the problem. It still sounds like my car does, except maybe a little amplified. I'm not sure if the RPM's are making it sound that way or what, not sure what you were idling at. If you think it might be running lean, I would buy the cheapest paper engine air filter you can get, and swap that in for a bit to see if things go back to normal. My other thought is an exhaust leak, but that'd be surprising on a 2015.

Verdict is that the welds for the baffles in the muffler have broke. The dealer has ordered a new exhaust and it will be installed next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... are you the first of many? hope not

Hope that was an anomaly that such driving poked a hole. Driving on dirt / gravel everyday should not have done such on a new car.

It was not the topside of the muffler. Just a manufacturer defect. Had nothing to do with where or how I drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Archived