LegacyGT.com

Engine Problems

finished up my 5mt/2.5L swap today and started it up

HGs were replaced within 20k ago and motor ran 100% fine when i pulled it

its running now but it runs horribly.

new plugs, new wires, new oil filter, oil, gear oil

the car will start after a couple cranks and then the idle will bounce between 700-1200 and randomly shoot up into the 2.5-3k range and hang there for a couple seconds

theres white smoke billowing out of the exhaust, the temp gauge inside isnt working, the EGR seems to start smoking

it stalls out and dies whenever i attempt to move forward or reverse

and there is no CEL, the light is not burned out either

??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did you remove the intake manifold from the engine during the swap?

did you plug the temp sensor back in, they are under the intake.

double check ALL of the wire and hose connections.

you left something undone.

check the pins in the 3 connectors on the rear of the engine, passenger side.

sometimes the pins get messed up.

check all of the vac lines.

you need to double check the temp sensors and make sure thay are plugged in. they connect to the sensors which are on the coolant cross over pipe.

the single wire goes the temp gauge and the 2 wire goes to the ECU.

it seem prett sure the temp gauge is not plugged in and if the ECTS is not plugged in you could have a hard time starting it. and maybe a funny idle ,but i'm not sure about that.

the white smoke may just be burn off.

does it smell sweet?

look for open vac lines, especially the large one that connects the plastic intake plenum to the IAC.

MAF plugged in?

so the sensors are plugged in tight and the MAF is good, i may have the hoses connected into the intake tube wrong but im not sure,

there's also a very small hose coming off the IM pass side that looks like it goes to the ac pressure switch or whatever else is over there, i didnt know what to do with that

i thought the smoke could be just oil i dripped onto the exhaust but its just constant out the tailpipe too long for it to be burnoff imo

also worth mentioning that when i barely bumped the pedal rpms shot up to about 3k for a sec

White smoke= coolant burning

Blue smoke= oil burning

Black smoke=running rich

So if your saying it's white smoke your getting coolant into the cylinders somehow. If you remove the intake hose and look into the intake manifold through the throttle body can you notice it being wet like from coolant? I'm wondering if you crossed a hose or maybe the TB cracked allowing coolant to enter the intake. It's impossible to blow your headgaskets while the cars not even running.

Oh yeah when you removed the engine did you by chance get coolant down the exhaust header? I've done this on a couple of cars when doing headgaskets and it does take a while to burn off the coolant in the exhaust system.

its possible but unlikely, i know it's definitely burning off the gear oil the AT drained all over the cats and my driveway, but its off the exterior

my EGR is also smoking at the gasket pretty noticeably

i dont know what hoses i may have crossed up whether intake or heater hoses..i dont have a/c hooked up but i feel like the smoke, the crazy rough idle and the "P0115 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction" all tie together

What a b****, did you by chance take the crossover pipe off? I think there are some o-rings in there that maybe compromised and letting coolant in the block that way...a shot in the dark maybe?

If you have steady white smoke there has to be a steady stream of coolant entering the block, I'm still thinking throttlebody water jacket or gasket could be letting coolant pass.

so i started it up and it took it around the block, my cats and the resonator were glowing red hot and smoking like crazy... wtf

no CEL and the temp gauge went to the middle, no higher, rough idle.. but glowing cats... really? why?

http://youtu.be/kiqlhQ1JqpU - even got some 1080p HD for you

there is a missing header bolt causing the nice exhaust leak noise you hear, on some starts theres a nasty grinding noise til i let off the clutch...

an intermittent low hollow knock sound.. sounds like its popping air out the intake filter sort of... you can hear it for the first time at :36 when the motor bogs downenough

could it be the fuel thats been sitting in the car for the last 6 months? or could a clogged cat be the reason my last motor blew up

the red hot cats sounds like unburned fuel .

check the timing. if one side is injecting too late ......

did you remove the injectors or wiring from the intake manifold. ?

did you get the injector wiring reversed?

swap the connectors from driver side to passenger side.i have not done this but i know it has been done by mistake in the past.

Had heard about cats betting superheated like that, a friend of mine was working on his suzuki and his upstream cat did that and it ended up being the the valves in one cylinder got beaten up by the ground strap from a spark plug...that piece of spark plug ended up making its way into the cat and loosened all the catalyst up and clogged the rest of the exhaust system to the point that all the piping from the upstream cat back was glowing and barely running...

None of that really explains the coolant entering your block but maybe (definately) your cats are clogged that bad...all of that sounds like a nightmare zues hope you get it going bud.

yeah, im pretty sure its not coolant that was smoking. its the cats and the resonator just after them,

the injector wiring was pretty easy to differentiate just because the driver's side plug harness' are much longer and farther away than the pass side's but i mayyyy have gotten them switched up on their respective sides but i dont think i did, as it seemed pretty straightforward to hook it back up

i did take and use the coil from the ej22, they're both diamond coils of the same PN, may try to swap them out, also had to buy a set of wires that i was wary of from o'reilly auto, maybe the injectors are plugged from the old gas? its got to be something i did since the car ran fine before i pulled the motor

If the cats clogged maybe the 2nd O2 sensor is getting fluxuating readings and is making the engine ramp up and down like that to try and self correct why the 02 sensor is not getting a consistent reading. That is the final check and balance of engine management.

maybe the 2nd O2 sensor ...That is the final check and balance of engine management.
it is the final check, but not the balance. the rear o2 does not control or affect the operation of the engine in any awy.

it just reports if the cat is doing it's job or not.

Archived