LegacyGT.com

OMG TMIC aaaaaahhhhhhhh!

gil_ong

so i have a problem. took my TMIC off and i can't get it back on. damn. and i thought it was struggle with my bugeye WRX.

problem #1

the gasket between the TMIC end tank and the pipe that goes to the TB is tron. i think i'm gonna need a new one. it's a funky one. the end tank "pipe" goes inside, then one layer of the coupler or whatever it's called, then the pipe that goes to the TB and then another layer of the rubber sleeve on the outside. secured by a clamp.

anyone know what this ia called? or a part number?

problem #2

for the life of me, i can't get the end of the TMIC end tank pipe to fit into the sleeve enough so i can clamp it down.

any tips or tricks? finally gave up after 30 mins so i don't work myself into a frenzy and feel like kicking the damn dog that was running circles around me and the car. that and my back hurt like hell.

so! any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do people have such a hard time with that hose. I had my IC off in 3 minutes when I did my heat shield install. I had the IC back on in 2 minutes. Easy as pie.

Make sure it's not getting hung up anywhere.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Pics of what your talking about?

posted

How do people have such a hard time with that hose. I had my IC off in 3 minutes when I did my heat shield install. I had the IC back on in 2 minutes. Easy as pie.

Make sure it's not getting hung up anywhere.

i will cut you!

not hung up.

#2. wd40, carb cleaner, liquid wrench. etc

tried PB blaster and silicone spray.

Then you are doing something wrong.

When I did it, I installed the TMIC coupler first, then rotated the intercooler down to the turbo. Worked like a charm, and I was done in just a few minutes.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

then you are doing something wrong.

When i did it, i installed the tmic coupler first, then rotated the intercooler down to the turbo. Worked like a charm, and i was done in just a few minutes.

+1

i'm gonna buy a new collar/gasket tomorrow and give it another go.

bac, that's what i did. or tried to do. i even removed the driver side TMIC support to give me more room to maneuver.

i'm beginning to wonder if this boot is an "add on." but it can't be since it's on j255's as well.

looked on opposedforces and didn't see anything. called the dealer and the parts guy (who i know) doesn't see it either.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_38/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/intercooler/illustration_1/

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_38/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/intake_manifold/illustration_1/

i just tried again.

still no luck.

i thought i almost got it. wasn't a perfect fit, but it was damn close. so i tightened the clamps and the boot started slipping off the intake duct.

Just wait til you upgrade to a larger TMIC. I have to manhandle mine to get it to fit.

To not be a troll and actually add input, the "boot" is unimportant. The instructions for most aftermarket top mounts include removing those in order to gain clearance. As long as the band clamp is tightened down enough to do its job, you should have a problem leaving the "boot" off.

The hose is probably not lined up properly. It probably got twisted when you removed the TMIC. I would loosen up the band clamp on the TB side and rotate the hose. It should follow the contour of the stuff around it.

It's cool; I'm with the band

When I got my AVO TMIC, it told me to remove the boot. I took it off, and popped the hose onto the new TMIC without lube or anything at all. Just slid it on easily, and tightened the clamp.

I think you just haven't gotten mad enough at it yet. In my experience, there's always a point where you're just too pissed to care anymore then things all of the sudden go together after you apply HULK force.
lol

yeah. i try my best to bot do that.

really don't have a reason to do so now since i car pool with my wife. even though, if she keeps up with the rubbish i had to put up with this morning..........

key is to put the tb hose side in first, then wiggle it, and shake your ass, then wiggle some more, then nod your head and make drum sounds with your lips.

It all goes together, and make sure the tb hose isn't upsidedown, I've heard of dealers installing them the wrong way, there should be a flat spot in the tube at the bottom...

The "boot" is there from the factory.

Perhaps you have the orientation of the TB coupler wrong? This is a 3 minute job.

1. clamp the coupler to the TB with the white dot facing directly upward (there is a white dot somewhere on the TB coupler)
  2. put the tmic in place and insert it into the other end of the coupler, just let it rest on the turbo right now, just work on getting it clamped to the TB coupler
  3. wiggle the tmic until it lines up with the turbo and also the holding bracket. Bolt it up. Done

The key is to clamp up the TB side first. Once you are done with that, it should be relatively close on the turbo side. Generally it needs pulled towards the turbo for the holes to line up. I always put the turbo bolts in loosely, then get the TMIC bracket installed to help hold the TMIC which puts less stress on the turbo bolts. Then I tighten everything down, using low torque on the turbo bolts.

Archived