LegacyGT.com

whats the difference

sschmelcke

between a shorty dp and a regular dp. im looking to go stage two can and ive read a lot of fitment issues with different dp. from my understanding is that the cobb fits best but i cant find a catless cobb anymore. can you still go stage 2 with a shorty and whats the main difference between the two. thanks

you exhaust from the turbo essentially consists of 3 parts

1)downpipe

2)midpipe

3)catback

if you get a regular downpipe it replaces 1&2 and if you get a shorty it replaces 1. I am not positive whether stage 2 is legit with the stock cat due to restrictions but why not get a 250 downpipe from ebay that is catless?

this might help

http://simplyawful.com/pics/wrx-intake-exhaust-diagram.gif

so basically, if you have a CBE then you only need to get the Shorty DP, correct?

No, The DP has 2 sections the lower section is often referred to as the mid-pipe. The shorty usually replaces the upper section, but the stock mid-pipe would still be in place if you got the upper section and a CBE. This doesn't mean you can't go stage 2 though...

No, it's a catback exhaust...hence it cannot replace the midpipe. You're probably thinking of the pipe with the resonator.

But to answer your question, yes, the standard 1-piece downpipe would make you stage 2 ready since it replaces the midpipe and downpipe...confused yet??

Archived