LegacyGT.com

Spec.B vs LGT tire size

jonnyt88

I noticed that the spec.b and 3.0r came with 215-45-18 and the LGTs came with 215-45-17 tires.

Why was there a difference in tire size? Did it have something to do with more space on the OEM Bilstein struts spring seat?

Someone i know is selling 225/45/18 tires on a nice set of rims for the right price. I was thinking about picking it up, but don't know if it will fit. The rims were 18x7.5 , high 40 offset, so it should. if I had a spec.B or 3.0r I know my speedo will be off some, but other downsides?

Mine is a 2009 Legacy 2.5i, limited, DD. Stock + H&R springs and RSB

I have the problem the other way round... My JDM 2.0GT spec.B has 215/45/18 as standard... (or 215/50/17 for winters) I've just bought some nice Prodrive GT1 rims with 225/40/18 tyres on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hoojamyflip/Legacy%20Twinscroll/20150205_171343_LLS_zpsacd9cb99.jpg

Not much tread left though so I will soon be able to put the correct size tyres on :D

Lots of tyre size comparison web pages around - like this one... http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

Have fun :spin:

My guess is because there was a difference in wheel size.

Normally when going form a 17" to 18" people run a lower profile to compensate for the larger rim , thus having the same overall circumference.

I was curious why the Spec.B still had the same profile tire but on a bigger wheel, making the overall circumference bigger. Didn't know if subaru did it just because they wanted to, or the spring seat in the OEM Bilstein struts allowed a larger overall circumference.

It'll set your speedo off by a little bit, (not enough to worry about) but other than that, it'll just fill out your wheel wells a little bit better.

You can run them with no problem. Pick 'em up!

Thanks!!.. Im not slammed, and its not a performance car, so a little visual improvement is a plus. My stock rims have shot tires on them, so I needed tires regardless.

FWIW, I have my 09 Spec B's winter rims on my 05 GT wagon that is lowerd 1 inch. They fit fine.

As long as the offset is correct you'll be fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Normally when going form a 17" to 18" people run a lower profile to compensate for the larger rim , thus having the same overall circumference.

I was curious why the Spec.B still had the same profile tire but on a bigger wheel, making the overall circumference bigger. Didn't know if subaru did it just because they wanted to, or the spring seat in the OEM Bilstein struts allowed a larger overall circumference.

I believe the profile on the stock 17 tires is already relatively low. If they made the same overall circumference, the spec-b would have rubber band tires. Some quick math tells me it would need a 39 profile to be identical, so 40 profile tires would be close. I did a quick google image search for 215-40-18 and it really doesn't look good, IMO.

lol

I noticed that the spec.b and 3.0r came with 215-45-18 and the LGTs came with 215-45-17 tires.

Why was there a difference in tire size? Did it have something to do with more space on the OEM Bilstein struts spring seat?

Someone i know is selling 225/45/18 tires on a nice set of rims for the right price. I was thinking about picking it up, but don't know if it will fit. The rims were 18x7.5 , high 40 offset, so it should. if I had a spec.B or 3.0r I know my speedo will be off some, but other downsides?

Mine is a 2009 Legacy 2.5i, limited, DD. Stock + H&R springs and RSB

SpecB is .5 inch higher ride height with 18's. Details - http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=215&aspect=45&diameter=18&wheelwidth=7&offset=55&width2=215&aspect2=45&diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=7&offset2=55#content

The new wheels/tires would be 5mm more than the stock SpecB ride height. Also, the tires would stick out nearly an inch further, so you might have rubbing on hard bumps or lots of weight. If you are dropped at all,

For your car, 205/50/17 on 17x7 offset 55mm was standard. So the new wheels/tires would stick out an inch more and add half an inch to the ride height. You would also be farther from centerline which will affect both steering & bearing wear (probably negligible, however, worth mentioning). Details here - http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=50&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7&offset=55&width2=225&aspect2=45&diameter2=18&wheelwidth2=7.5&offset2=40#content

Archived