LegacyGT.com

Brake maintenance - replace parking brake shoes or hardware too?

ERLoft

Just wondering...

This weekend is work on the car weekend. On the agenda are swapping out the Bilsteins for stock struts so the Bilsteins can get rebuilt, putting back on my AutoSpeed exhast and brake work.

I've got just north of 80k on the car and decided since my semi-annual bonus was good that it was time to replace pads and rotors. I've got new Carbotech pads and Stoptech slotted rotors. The question is, should I plan on replacing the parking brake shoes and/or hardware while I'm at it? My parking brake has never been used for anything but parking, so I doubt it in real need of replacement, but given that the shoes are only $15 plus shipping, would it make sense to do them too?

I've also found a parking brake hardware kit that has all the little springs and clips. It's only $14, so again the question is whether it's potentially needed or not. My guess is that it's not a 'must replace' item, but maybe worth doing while everything's already apart?

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The shoes basically don't wear out unless you drive with it on etc.

You shouldn't have to touch anything to do with the park brake except to back off the adjuster to get the rear rotors off easier.

The clip kit might be a good idea if for some reason you do need to take them off - if one of those clips flies off, you'll never find it. So, better safe than sorry for $14.

Archived