LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

Got the airbag replaced in my OBXT today - no drama. They confirmed eligibility for the dash replacement and ordered the part. Unfortunately they are unwilling to work with me on the airbag replacement for the LGT, won't provide parts for self-install (understandable) or do the job if I bring the car in partially torn down. Guess I'm keeping the shrapnel bomb in there. Once I swap the seats it is questionable if the airbags will still work as designed so... :jedi:

what seats underdog?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize that the airbag isn't supposed to be used instead of a seat belt right? Not saying you don't, but I've seen a few comments here that indicate that airbags only help when someone isn't wearing a seat belt. It's called the SRS (supplemental restraint system), as in to supplement the primary restraint system (your seat belt). Seat belts are meant to stretch and give (a lot) in the event of a crash. The airbag is there to slow down your face so it doesn't smash into the steering wheel or dash, as well as stop whiplash when rapidly decelerating your body while your head keeps going. While the belt is there to keep you from going through the windshield or submarining under the dash

Then you have to consider that an airbag exploding with shrapnel even from a minor accident is more frequent than a major accident where both airbag and belt is needed, especially on the passenger side.

453747.png

Dealer did mine in July. They tore up the area around the cubby and gouged my center shift console. Took 'em 2 days just for that. Then.. the upholstery shop had the car for a week to repair the dash damage and repainted the shift console. Ghetto...

Then you have to consider that an airbag exploding with shrapnel even from a minor accident is more frequent than a major accident where both airbag and belt is needed, especially on the passenger side.

No kidding.

This shouldn't have been a fatal collision:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/07/14/32EF5C2900000578-3527019-image-a-20_1460036239120.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3527019/Honda-reports-10th-US-death-Takata-air-bags.html

Or this one:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/08/24/04/3788A4EE00000578-3754799-image-a-97_1472008680163.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3754799/Scott-Eastwood-reveals-s-harder-date-girlfriend-died-car-crash.html

• 4 weeks later...

Great with the horror stories guys, now I'm completely discouraged from having the dealer do this, especially since they did say they would take the whole dash apart, when in the recall letter it said this is a 45 minute job. So, as Scooby2.5 correctly pointed out on the procedure that sounds like the right one, have any of you been successful in "talking them into" doing it that way, or is there an official SOA resource I can point them to?

My 2005 has an impeccable interior with no rattles, and being OCD, I'd like to keep it that way.

It's seriously a piece of cake to do this through the glove box area.

Wonder why these moron dealerships are still taking the dash out? ��

Could you please elaborate on how this is done? Is it possible to unbolt the whole airbag assembly and wiggle it out when working from the footwell?

Or is it easy enough to R&R the inflator can (which is what the recall procedure is is actually about) with the airbag still bolted on? Thank you.

Edited by avk

Could you please elaborate on how this is done? Is it possible to unbolt the whole airbag assembly and wiggle it out when working from the footwell?

Or is it easy enough to R&R the inflator can (which is what the recall procedure is is actually about) with the airbag still bolted on? Thank you.

Remove the glove box assembly like you are changing the filter.

Also remove the rest of glove box area which isn't much more.

Remove the center cubby

Remove the right side vent.

Unbolt and take out through the cubby area

Takes my dealer about 45 min :)

Take photos before.

Yep. I actually took a video (complete with the previous day's paper for date verification :lol:) Politely reminded the service writer that my dash was pretty prestine and I expected it to come out that way.

End results? They did a good job. No marks or scuffs. Some dust and fingerprints that weren't there before (I had detailed the dash before taking it in) but that's it. Importantly, no new squeaks. <phew!>

Yep. I actually took a video (complete with the previous day's paper for date verification :lol:) Politely reminded the service writer that my dash was pretty prestine and I expected it to come out that way.

End results? They did a good job. No marks or scuffs. Some dust and fingerprints that weren't there before (I had detailed the dash before taking it in) but that's it. Importantly, no new squeaks. <phew!>

Great idea.

Would you post the video please?

Well, I just reviewed it and it's not the greatest of quality as it was in the dark garage with holding the phone in one hand and a flashlight with the other. I would suggest doing it in the light of day, lol.

Great with the horror stories guys, now I'm completely discouraged from having the dealer do this, especially since they did say they would take the whole dash apart, when in the recall letter it said this is a 45 minute job. So, as Scooby2.5 correctly pointed out on the procedure that sounds like the right one, have any of you been successful in "talking them into" doing it that way, or is there an official SOA resource I can point them to?

My 2005 has an impeccable interior with no rattles, and being OCD, I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm the same way that is why I have not had mine done. no rattles and only 70k on my 2008 I don't want any rattles. I spoke to the service writer and I'm thinking of taping a note in the glove box that says please treat her as if she was your own car and tape 100.00 bill to the box. .

Remove the glove box assembly like you are changing the filter.

Also remove the rest of glove box area which isn't much more.

Remove the center cubby

Remove the right side vent.

Unbolt and take out through the cubby area

Takes my dealer about 45 min :)

I think I will follow this procedure to replace my vent actuator and then just take it in to the dealer as is, and have them swap out the airbag. If they balk, then I'll document my car up the wazoo and then hold them up to the job.

Taking the dash apart is not a 45 minute job, and the SOA recall letter says this is a 45 minute job, so clearly that indicates taking the dash apart isn't the way SOA is suggesting going about it.