LegacyGT.com

flappy/knocky noise while lightly braking..

AAPOQ

Hey everyone. Well it started last night right after some really tight cornering. I can hear it and feel it in the brake pedal. It happens when I press lightly on the brakes and only on the front drivers side. No noises while turning or accelerating. I took the wheel off and nothing is loose or visibly damaged from what I can see... bad caliper? Warped rotor? Abs issue?

I've searched for answers and found nothing. Any help would be excellent, thanks..

There are at least two other threads just recently discussing this issue. I have suggested a broken or damaged anti-rattle clip between the brake pads and caliper.
sorry, I went through every page for the brake section and googled the craps out of it and found nothing. Can you supply a link please? I need help, I just bought this car and barely put 450 miles on it....

For what it's worth I had a similar problem. There was a sort of rapid clunking noise during light braking and it would go away whenever I'd stomp the brakes. I've checked the front end many times and never found any play. Well installed the whiteline rck yesterday and discovered my ball joints were pretty floppy. Never felt any play in them but they were loose for sure. Never experienced this on any other car but the noise and feel of the brake pedal is gone.

For what it's worth I had a similar problem. There was a sort of rapid clunking noise during light braking and it would go away whenever I'd stomp the brakes. I've checked the front end many times and never found any play. Well installed the whiteline rck yesterday and discovered my ball joints were pretty floppy. Never felt any play in them but they were loose for sure. Never experienced this on any other car but the noise and feel of the brake pedal is gone.

So are you saying it could be my ball joint?

Just throwin it out there. It sounded similar to what you described and I have upgraded/replaced almost everything in my front end (Koni's,Whiteline LCA bushings,moog end links,hotchkis sway bar,whiteline rack bushings,the rack itself,and the whiteline RCK) and it went away after I had replaced the ball joints. There was no play in them when bolted into the car but once I had them out of the LCA they were floppin.

I solved the problem. There was a rusty shim on the inside brake pad. Took everything apart, put some grease on the back of the brake pad, removed the rusty shim, reassembled, went for a drive, and came back happy.

Well that sounds interesting.... hmm, I don't even have shims in between my pads and calipers. I will say though, one of the caliper pistons was extremely rusty... Maybe if I grease it up a little:confused:

Archived