LegacyGT.com

Dynotune/Rental: Cryotune Performance 2006 LGT spec'b FP HTA68 363hp/397tq on corn

Event: Dyno Rental

Locaction: Carz Performance

Date: 08/13/2012

Ambient Temp: 76 degrees

Elevation: 5480ft

Weather: Overcast

Car: 2006 Legacy GT Spec b

Tuner: Tuned by Dave @ Cryotune Performance using the Cobb Accesstuner Race software

Dyno Info: Superflow awd load bearing dyno

Transmission: 5 speed,

Gear: 3rd

Peak Horse Power at RPM: 363hp @ 5400rpms

Peak Torque at RPM: 397tq at 4500rpms

Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: Stock 06 wrx puts down 200-210, No legacy numbers availible

Target Boost: 23psi

Target AFR: .80 lambda

SAE Correction factor: 1.23 <- A little high considering the local Dyno Dynamics runs a set 1.15CF for Forced Induction cars

Fuel: E85

Engine/Power Modifications: FP 7cm HTA68,K&N hot air intake :), Grimmspeed EBCS, Catless uppipe and downpipe,Grimspeed ebcs, DW850's, XO2 FMIC, STOCK CATBACK.

Driveline Modifications: , Clutchmasters FX300,Tranquil TSK3,06 WRX flywheel

Suspension Modifications: Stock Spec B bilstien inverted struts and aluminum control arms,cobb shifter bushing

I finally finished up my tune on the dyno since dialing in the last few hp is always very tough on the street. Obviously not a bad investment. It actually builds torque a little earlier on the street as well and I compared on the way home. Full boost was coming on about 200rpms later on the dyno than on the street. I love this set up as a Daily driver. Next should be a trip to the track;)

Dave

1153050401_Davesdynosheetcarzperformanceresize.thumb.jpg.e91b1c8cc25a81c10c853c7c20f3e243.jpg

davescarpasture.thumb.jpg.e86b0e6a2e40c0ca53d8cf14af211d8c.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Its hard to tune on the street, and you definitely don't want to get pulled over trying to clean up a tune on the road. Dont ask me how I know.

You might find its a little bit leaner on the street as opposed to the dyno. But that's very little drop off for a stock catback and 7cm hotside.

How long before you think you'll get to the track?

Well track closes at the end of sept so time is running out. Last time out i trapped 107's and smoked the stock clutch. By the end of each run my clutch felt like butter and each shift got softer than the last. My goals are 109-110mph and ill be happy but who knows.

You can do a pretty good job on the street but will almost always benifit from fine tuning it on the dyno, the safety factor cannot be duplicated on the street and is a very big plus as well as consistant/comparable results.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

The trade off is it looks like i could gain power with a open catback but at the expense of changing the theme of the car. I wanted to build this car to be quiet, comfortable and only really be noticed when i drop the hammer. I almost painted the fmic black but the wife talked me into leaving it stating "thats one of those mods that people normally see and know its hiding something". :)

I am looking more twords 12.5-12.99 in tems of et's given people with better driving skill,a little more power and a little lighter have gone a little faster than my goals its a fair estimate. Very few 12 second leggys up here *or at least with timeslips, i know of a few capable of it but just havent gotten a good run*

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mega Users
The trade off is it looks like i could gain power with a open catback but at the expense of changing the theme of the car. I wanted to build this car to be quiet, comfortable and only really be noticed when i drop the hammer. I almost painted the fmic black but the wife talked me into leaving it stating "thats one of those mods that people normally see and know its hiding something". :)

I am looking more twords 12.5-12.99 in tems of et's given people with better driving skill,a little more power and a little lighter have gone a little faster than my goals its a fair estimate. Very few 12 second leggys up here *or at least with timeslips, i know of a few capable of it but just havent gotten a good run*

Dave

do you have a couple of months to wait? turbo xs is coming out with a cat back combo, undoubtably the best fitting one on the market, and it should allow the stock cans to bolt right up. Originally was going to be just a mid/y, but they decided to add cans to the package. And I'm sure you could find someone to take the cans off of you if you didnt want to use them.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Moderators
do you have a couple of months to wait? turbo xs is coming out with a cat back combo, undoubtably the best fitting one on the market, and it should allow the stock cans to bolt right up. Originally was going to be just a mid/y, but they decided to add cans to the package. And I'm sure you could find someone to take the cans off of you if you didnt want to use them.

If this actually happens, I'm a potential consumer for the mufflers :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have only heard one setup so far i would be willing to get away from stock for and it was a custom built exhaust. If i had more time on the dyno i would have dropped the exhaust at the end of the dp and done another pull just to see the difference. Ill probably leave it as is unless i decide to go with a bigger turbo setup down the road....i really like the looks of the HTA71 but who knows.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Actually on the street the car feels much more responsive than the dyno even shows so its quite fun....if i drop the pedal any time after 3k its almost instant response and doesnt really fall off till its time to shift, i still get the "it keeps pulling so i dont want to shift" feeling but the numbers show where my shift points should reside....

Thanks for the comments

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...
Are you running a CAI or the stock airbox? I have a similar setup. What's interesting was the fastest my LGt ever felt on the butt dyno was with the stock airbox, stock catback, and 8psi actuator. I thought maybe it was just me getting used to the car, but a few of my friends have commented on it too.

Are you running a CAI or the stock airbox? I have a similar setup. What's interesting was the fastest my LGt ever felt on the butt dyno was with the stock airbox, stock catback, and 8psi actuator. I thought maybe it was just me getting used to the car, but a few of my friends have commented on it too.

Well I didnt realize I didnt have a couple things listed in the original post with my mods. I went ahead and edited the first post. thanks

I do have a K&N hot air intake:) since the stock air box wasnt an option with the X02 FMIC.

I have NO complaints about the power output,driveability, and response I have with this car. I have been buiding/modifying my personal cars for 15 years or more now and this is the FIRST time I have been satisfied with a cars power output for a daily driver enough to not tear it apart and change it.

Normally I add new parts/change setups every 6-12 months max because I desire more and sell cars every three years or so and both of those timelines have passed a while back. I am not saying I wouldnt want a quicker car like some of the cars I have tuned or owned in the past BUT when it comes down to power curves and strickly a daily driver I am very happy with my build decision.

The only thing I really desire is to have the same spool, same high early torque *on the street* and hp output but with a turbo that would perform a little better on gas.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only thing I really desire is to have the same spool, same high early torque *on the street* and hp output but with a turbo that would perform a little better on gas.

Oh is THAT all?:lol::lol: Thats pretty much what we all dream of.:wub:

I somehow missed this thread. E85 on HTA is big fun and with that small hotside and oem headers the throttle response (even with fmic) must be tremendous. I'm guessing similar to stock throttle response with a LOT more ooph.

For me, I think I would enjoy your setup with theELH and a 8cm hotside, but I want to be put in my seat basically to 7k and am willing to give up a 100-200rpm of spool and a tenth of a second throttle response. Maybe not the best trade off for a DD that doesn't get wound out.

What's nice about a smaller turbo on e85? No NEED to wind the engine out. You're already movin' out hard by 5k.

I'm not sure if I typed that right...:) I wish the HTA68 was even half the fun on gas that it is on e85. If e85 was not availible here tomorrow I would have to pick a new turbo....:cool:

I have ridden in a few different fp 7cm hta68 cars as well as a couple BNRhta68 cars and I prefer the 7cm version personally for daily driving duty. I know I will get flamed for it but I know for a fact a few different tuners/dyno owners feel the same way as well.

The BNRhta68 performs GREAT but seems to loose the immediate torque jolt the 7cm version is known for and can be seen in most dyno graphs as well... The BNR version has a little slower nature but proves to flow more up top...what is funny is the BNRHTA68 is actually7.5cm rather than 8 if measured because of the vf40 housing. His new housings are a full 8cm I'm sure.

I actually had the chance to do some real world testing one day with another lgt owner. The cars were very similar in modifications and the biggest difference was TMIC + BNRHTA68 vs FMIC + FP HTA68. The results were extremly close in terms of initial acceleration from a roll and top end power in different gears. After discussion we were both pretty impressed at the similarities and differences. Truth be told the BNRHTA68 w/tmic was faster at the track which is what was to be expected.

I see some of the dsm guys running 28-30psi on this turbo running 10's on meth and e85 and wonder how its not a full blown flame thrower. Because there are no compressor maps we cannot see where this turbo should sit but everything points twords it running way out of efficiancy because of the small exhaust side. I would love to be able to crank it up to 26-28psi on a built motor and see what kind of torque it could do. I know I still saw a 9hp increase when testing 19psi at 6500rpms vs 20.5 and another 7hp if I held it at 22psi at 6500 but I backed it down to 20.5 for safety since at the root its my DD.

It keeps pulling to redline but if I was to get ELheaders and loose a little low end because of a bigger exhaust housing I would probalby just go blouch 1.5xtr or even 2.5xtr. Then I would not be able to push the turbo because of fear of blowing the motor. Then I start thinking *if I'm gonna build a motor I might as well go EFR and have some real fun*. it never stops:spin:

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived