LegacyGT.com

225/50/17?

scoobydoobie

Hey all, just moved to a LGT from a 99' modified forester. I have a set of rota SDRs 17x 7.5 +48mm offset that I was thinking of putting on the legacy. Bolt pattern is 5 x 100. They are wrapped in 225/50/17 potenza pole positions with a lot of tread left and was just wondering if this size would fit on the new car? I know that the size seems large sounding compared to the stock size of 215/45/17, but would it rub and perform fine? I am not happy with the RE92's and wouldn't mind putting on these other tires. Plus I think they would fill in the fender gap a bit better than stock size(looks pretty small). Thanks in advance for any help!

Yes, they will work. They will be a bit tall and your speedo will be a little off, but it will work. The outback stock size is 225/55/17 and there is no difference in the wheel well between the LGT and the outback.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I'm running 225/50/R17's on my '07 Spec on a 17x7" +48 rim and I havent had any rubbing, however, this might be due to the little differences between the Bilstein's and the regular GT suspension. I think you will be fine though

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Ok, I still won't say if the tire will fit, but the wheel is fine ... anywhere from 40-54 offset will fit per this thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

As for the Outback comparison, just because the wheel wells are the same, the suspension is rather different and therefore doesn't really make them the same.

Same thing with the Spec.B as Acswild noted.

I'm inclined to think that the 225/50/17 will be just fine though ... I'm on 225/45/17 and that doesn't seem to be pushing things at all.

We just went up a tiny bit on our OB - from 225/55/17 to 235/55/17 - no rubbing. And remember the wheel well arch is actually a bit smaller on the OB due to the Tupperware. OTOH, there are differences inboard of the wheel. I'd suggest trying them & see.

As for the speedo, it will read slightly lower for a given real road speed than it did before. Which may be more or less accurate - it's unlikely to have read perfectly accurate from the factory.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Any chance of getting pics of these alternate tire sizes on the car? The roads around Pittsburgh are nothing to write home about and I would like a little more protection on the OEM wheels.

Thanks,

Nick

I'm running 225/50/R17's on my '07 Spec on a 17x7" +48 rim and I havent had any rubbing, however, this might be due to the little differences between the Bilstein's and the regular GT suspension. I think you will be fine though

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01715.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Aczwild/DSC01713.jpg

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Here's what 225/50/17 look like on my SpecB.

This is my winter look w/Nokian AK5 studded.

No rubbing at all and I'm running swift springs.

A small difference w/the speedo but nothing that can get you in trouble unless you already are.

CIMG1176.JPG.c5712f20d816f76aed8177c9e001d33d.JPG

CIMG1170E.thumb.jpg.fa7bbc2d78bebebacd8fe4164fee0996.jpg

CIMG1193.JPG.e7c8d05fa89d7091aed3d32082bd87d2.JPG

Hey all, just moved to a LGT from a 99' modified forester. I have a set of rota SDRs 17x 7.5 +48mm offset that I was thinking of putting on the legacy. Bolt pattern is 5 x 100. They are wrapped in 225/50/17 potenza pole positions with a lot of tread left and was just wondering if this size would fit on the new car? I know that the size seems large sounding compared to the stock size of 215/45/17, but would it rub and perform fine? I am not happy with the RE92's and wouldn't mind putting on these other tires. Plus I think they would fill in the fender gap a bit better than stock size(looks pretty small). Thanks in advance for any help!

Please keep us posted on your install. According to Xenon 225/50-17s would rub lower spring perches. I measured clearances on stock tires and can see how 225/50s could be a problem.

i too am running 225/45/17 with no problems

ok so i replaced my brakes pads this weekend and noticed some rubbing on the spring perch not much just barely

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

225/50/17 is too tall for a regular gt. the spring perches on the stock regular gt struts are alittle lower than the bilstein struts on the spec b. If you want the tire to fit, you will need to get the bilstein struts setup or coilovers. For you they will rub i think.

Any pics of 225/45/17's on stockers??? Any rubbing issues with these??

heres mine fuzions no issues it was raining outside when i took it

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/lvethesnow/0111081120a.jpg

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

225/50/17 is too tall for a regular gt. the spring perches on the stock regular gt struts are alittle lower than the bilstein struts on the spec b. If you want the tire to fit, you will need to get the bilstein struts setup or coilovers. For you they will rub i think.

Even with Bilsteins they require +48 offset. At least they are known to fit with +48 but rub on the fender with +42. I am afraid that +55 (stock) could rub on the perch.

Wow lots of feedback, been out of the country for a little over a week and lots of responses. Guess I will wait on putting the rotas on for a while until the stock tires get worn down.

Hey kennedy man, yea this is alex from cville. told you I was looking at that 05'!:icon_chee

What if I'm switching to Bilstein HDs and leaving stock springs?

225/50 would be perfect for my needs.

to go with that question would the gt sit a little higher with bilsteins hd with stock springs cause the perch is higher. or is it so minimual you really cant tell

• 2 weeks later...
So last night I finally got around to installing snow tires on my stock GT wheels. The snow tires are 225/50/17. I was worried that they wouldn't fit, but so far they have been great with no rubbing issues. The tire clears the perch just fine.

Archived