LegacyGT.com

Gauge placement & I have factory NAV...

Gator GT

I've got factory NAV in the 07.B (so no cubby options) and I'm already going to be taking up the steering column with a 52mm boost gauge that is on its way.

I've seen the AVO pod and while AVO is a killer company, I don't like how"stick-on" it looks on the dash in the corner.

I've thought about a psuedo-DIY triple pod for the A-pillar, but that has an airbag inside of it -- Danger!

I have seen some RH drive Legacys with a triple gauge pod mounted on the passenger side of the center console, but the glove compartment would bang into it as I've tried a mockup.

On top of dash is out of the question for a couple of reasons:

1. I've got a NAV controller right under the top of center console!

2. Having a lump on the top of the dash more than just the instrument cluster screams "HEY LOOK AT ME, IN ME & UNDER ME, I'M MODDED!"

Only other location I can think of is the cup holder with its nice little sliding door...but, yes, you guessed it, I don't like the thought of losing the cup holders...but this is the backup plan to a potential location I haven't investigated.

I'm going to be adding oil temp, oil pressure and EGT gauges (all 52mm and electric) at some point in the future.

Thoughts? Questions?

...yes, I'm picky. Thats how great ideas come about. :lol:

Thanks.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I was thinking about this the other day actually. I've seen STi clusters that were built into the dash, which i'm sure with some work would fit even with the NAV but your right. It just screams out to everyone.

I do like the passenger side-of-the-shifter mounted one but i was thinking about doing that on the drivers side. I don't know how much it would affect drivability tho. I remember seeing a pic of it, but i'll have to scour to post it.

The only other spot i thought that may be feasible would be something in that ashtray compartment. I don't use it anyway and although i would lose a lighter plug, i have another in the armrest. But i don't think you could fit 3 gauges in there ... well not easily anyway.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. I've seen STi clusters that were built into the dash, which i'm sure with some work would fit even with the NAV but your right. It just screams out to everyone.

I do like the passenger side-of-the-shifter mounted one but i was thinking about doing that on the drivers side. I don't know how much it would affect drivability tho. I remember seeing a pic of it, but i'll have to scour to post it.

The only other spot i thought that may be feasible would be something in that ashtray compartment. I don't use it anyway and although i would lose a lighter plug, i have another in the armrest. But i don't think you could fit 3 gauges in there ... well not easily anyway.

I too really like the idea of the "pass side of shifter" location, but like I mentioned, too high up the console and you're not opening up the glove compartment....to low down the trim line (almost going horizontal) and you're limiting how far forward you can adjust the passenger seat.

I did think about doing it on the driver side...but man, I do not want to hinder leg movement when driving.

In the ashtray? :eek: My gosh, are you going to be able to see those size gauges?? Do they make 26mm :lol: ?

...I dunno, I may just bite the bullet and lose the front cupholders.

I do remember seeing some in the glove compartment, but I don't think there is enough room once it starts closing.

Thanks EquinnoxX!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

PLTEK sells some multi display data loggers. One displays AFR,EGT,Knock. I know you are looking for oil temp/pressure,but maybe you could look into this type of unit for packaging reasons. There are other units out there that monitor other parameters,i just can't think of any right now.

I had a Stg 4 WRX with Greddy 60mm EGT/Boost/AFR in a center dashtop pod,also a 52mm boost in the left side vent. After the car was tuned i hardly looked at any gauge other than boost.All had peak hold feature.

With hindsight i would now have gone the route of the single display multi function data logger, more usefull and way less "theft eye candy".

Dave

PLTEK sells some multi display data loggers. One displays AFR,EGT,Knock. I know you are looking for oil temp/pressure,but maybe you could look into this type of unit for packaging reasons. There are other units out there that monitor other parameters,i just can't think of any right now.

I had a Stg 4 WRX with Greddy 60mm EGT/Boost/AFR in a center dashtop pod,also a 52mm boost in the left side vent. After the car was tuned i hardly looked at any gauge other than boost.All had peak hold feature.

With hindsight i would now have gone the route of the single display multi function data logger, more usefull and way less "theft eye candy".

Dave

Dave,

That is making sense (in terms of not really looking at them after tuned; except for oil temp, so as to know when I can start "playing" with the car).....I'll have to look into that more.

That could get installed in the deep cubby center console and I can still retain my cup holders....and no "eye candy"

Thanks man!

Thanks MW, but I mentioned that I don't want to put it on the A-pillar due to the airbag underneath.

Zmarko - I dunno....just short of adding alky and I don't see a built block in my future...unless I come into some cash. Definitely deep into Stage 2 territory. NO NOS.

Mold one into the driver's side vent, closest to the window. Its useless anyway. I've also seen a gauge molded into the lower half of the driver's side center vent... bottom half was the gauge, top half was vents.
ignore him, he'll go away.

dont know if legacy has sunglass holder in between maplights like accords/TL/CL, if so maybe you can put some kinda gauge or some kinda digital readout display up there like how we honda people do with VAFC

http://i13.tinypic.com/4zb9tft.jpg

Archived