LegacyGT.com

Remote Car Starter

Hi guys, I wasn't sure where to post this... but I have an '05 Legacy Sedan 2.5i and I'm looking to put in a remote car starter. Has anyone done this yet? I called my local dealership and they're charging 299-399 to put in the Omega Mars 11 or 22 since there isn't a Subaru OEM for that year/model... about 1/3 of that price is the actual cost of the device, so I'm thinking that this is a total rip off.

Has anyone done this on their car? How difficult is it to do? Where can I get step by step directions for this exact car? Also, I'm totally no good at cars, so please remember you'll need to talk in layman's terms :lol:

Go to a Best Buy or a local stereo shop and have them put one in. We just put on in my wife's work car(07 Yaris) for about $230 installed. It cames with keyless entry, remote start, defroster turn on and and trunk release. Took them about 2 hours to get it installed. The dealer is going to totally rip you on labor.
Let's kick this pig!

Go to a Best Buy or a local stereo shop and have them put one in. We just put on in my wife's work car(07 Yaris) for about $230 installed. It cames with keyless entry, remote start, defroster turn on and and trunk release. Took them about 2 hours to get it installed. The dealer is going to totally rip you on labor.

yea... just go to bestbuy or somehwere and have them do it. if u have a manual tranny.. then see if u can find someone to do it under the counter for u. but its been done and i have it done to my 05 2.5i.

NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU... YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHIPPED KEY!!!

those started in 06's ;)

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Elle,

I also have a 05 2.5i and thinking of getting a starter for this coming winter.

I'll check Circuit City and see what they offer. If you find any deal, please post and let me know :) and if I find anything I'll reply to the thread.

if it comes with a wiring diagram (which it should) it wont take you any longer then 2 hours to do it yourself, you just need wires stippers, and electrical tape. It will seem difficualt when you look at it, and then again when you actually take the panel off under your steering wheel and look at all the wires. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it either, but I tried and completed it in about an hour and ah half... it really isn't that hard, just look at it like a puzzle and follow the wiring diagram!.. :) and it will save you 230.00 $$$ cash in the pocket for another MOD! YAYA (Good Luck)

elle,

If you decide to DIY, make sure you have all the information in order to do the job correctly. If you take it to a shop, be sure it's one you trust and know they will stand behind the work performed. My vote is actually for a dealer install since OEM is not available for '05. I have seen plenty of botched alarm, and remote start installs which can end up costing hundreds if not a thousand to correctly diagnose and repair. If it's done incorrectly, your car won't start reliably, even with the key. It won't lock or unlock and could leave you stranded. If this happens just once, any money you saved will be lost. You've already said that you are no good at cars. Convenience has a price and sometimes its worth paying for. Whatever you decide, just do the research first.

;)

Archived