LegacyGT.com

Worried about my clutch!

jri

Hello expert group!

Car is a 2012 LGT with 24,000 miles.

I have a new (intermittent) problem, and would like to do some research before letting the dealership go crazy.

Sometimes the clutch seems totally normal, but (typically after 30 min of driving), the pedal starts to vibrate (buzz). There is also a very noticeable pulsing in the pedal when just slightly depressed. I don't notice any slipping.

What't the verdict? The car has been driven quite lightly, no mods whatsoever....

:mad:

John.

Sounds like the throw out bearing is bad. Get it to the dealer asap. A vibrating TOB indicates it is on its last leg.

What he said ^. I ignored mine a little too long and the TOB chewed off the snout of my 5mt. Get it cracked open ASAP. If the snout is still intact, you can use a TSK3 kit (snout cover w/TOB for the output shaft) and you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys; left the car at the dealership for a day last week, and of course the problem went away. Returned two days later, and is now gone again.

If it was indeed the throw out bearing, would it keep coming and going intermittently?

If (when) it reoccurs, the dealer is ready for me to bring it in.

John

I just worry that it's going to break and take out the snout on the tranny, costing more to fix.

Make sure your covered by the factory warranty.

Is there a TSK3 kit of the 5th gen's ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Making progress! Clutch pedal started vibrating again last night, and I was able to get it to the dealership and actually demonstrate the problem.

We could also hear a faint bearing squeal with the clutch engaged (pedal up). Noise would disappear with the pedal down, so technician felt confident that it was indeed the release bearing. They will crack it open on Thursday...

Should be under warrantly, so I won't ask for the TSK3 kit.

Thanks to all,

John.

I would ask them to make sure they put a coating of grease on the snout of the tranny. Tell them you know Subaru has had issue's with TOB'ings.

You may try and have them grease the shaft on the starter too. The 4th gen's have that issue of the starter gear hanging in after you turn the key to run. It happens in cold weather.

Both my cars did/do it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would ask them to make sure they put a coating of grease on the snout of the tranny. Tell them you know Subaru has had issue's with TOB'ings.

You may try and have them grease the shaft on the starter too. The 4th gen's have that issue of the starter gear hanging in after you turn the key to run. It happens in cold weather.

Both my cars did/do it.

I would ask if they can install the TSK3 kit anyways- I didn't install one when I replaced the last TOB, and the current one is going at 15k.

Archived