LegacyGT.com

quarter panel rust protectors.

paintpollz

• Mega Users

So my car has had a bunch of body work done on it. I was under the car the other day tigheting the cogs for my ebrake, and noticed that the right rear quarter panel was starting to rust a little. I'm thinkin oh well its a car it sees a ton of salt/winter ever year, a little rust, no biggy, ill bondo it in 5 years when it gets real bad.

then I went to check out the other side, and it has like a rubber sleeve weather protector thing that goes along the inside of the metal on the rear quarter panel.

I wish I had a pic, I'm at work right now and just thought to start a thread on it. I think someone a little more savvy with autobody will know what im talking about.

Whats this thing called, and where can I get a replacement? And are these also on the front quarter panels as well? there are non on the fronts. The front end body has been replaced like 3 times.

Thanks

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I remove those rubber lip protectors on all my cars that have them. they trap dirt which traps water and causes rust since the water settles there for a while. There are none on the front of the legacy just on the rear.

I recently replaced both of mine on my '05...no rust to be found on the fender lip (used a flashlight and mirror to check) after 5 Minnesota winters. I forget the official part name on the packaging ($13.xx each).

Front fenders do not have them.

The rubber moulding does have a metal core and that was rusting on mine. The rust made the rubber "swell" at the ends where the water gets in and causes the moulding pulls away from the fender. It is just press-fit in place...no adhesive.

It is still ugly.

• Mega Users
Good to hear, thanks. I wish I knew what the part was called. The side that doesn't have it on there is starting to rust. Not noticable from the outside though.

I think they are called rear wheel arch moulding. The only way to stop the rust is by oil coating it. I just got rid of a 96 legacy with 318000 miles and it had no rust except the gas door and a couple other small spots on the underside. Nothing was rotted through just early signs of corrosion in the fore mentioned places, which is unheard of in Western Ny where it spent most of its life.

To combat the rust in the quarter areas i pulled the trunk carpet back on the sides and sprayed oil all over the inside of the panel. Every Subaru on the road here more than a few years has rust just behind the rear wheel and mine never got a spec of rust there.

Don't wait till you get a hole to get it fixed, the repair will last a year at most regardless of how professional it is done. If you want to put the money into fixing it, do it now and keep it oiled. If not just start oiling it now and it will slow it down considerably or keep it from going further.

Those wheel arch moulding strips are fine there...if you keep it oiled. Not to keep saying that, but it WORKS!!! You can wash and wax it all you want but it does nothing to keep the hot spots from getting eaten by salt (inside rockers, inside quarters, bottom inside of doors trunk/lift gate weap holes, the entire underside, above gas tank, under hood, entire engine compartment, and every other place that can get sprayed and not cover the visual places)

• Mega Users
You can have both of mine.....(FOR FREE). I'm over in New Hartford right next to Ski Sundown.

ha no kidding. small world. I'm up there a decent amount. Go to Chatterleys once every other month with the family, also have a friend that lives above it. I take my zx6r up there quite a bit to ride, usually route 8 is the destination.

Why did you take yours off?

I took mine off because previous to my 08, I had a 98 gt that was near perfect. I noticed that overtime, the metal that was inside of the rubber strip would rust and expand. It started spreading and made the passengers side look a bit different so i removed both of them. It gives you a clean surface to maintain and get sand/debris off of.

I would recommend oiling that spot on the underside obviously , and just keep cleaning the undersides of the lip thoroughly while you wash your car. It is a trouble spot that is well known and everyone hates it (In New England).:spin:

Archived