LegacyGT.com

plastidip center console cover?

I want to refresh the look of the console cover in my car. The finish has worn and there are scratches on it. Would plasti dipping it be worthwhile?

Thanks!

If it doesn't, you can peel it off and just get something else. Worth a shot?

Clean surface of oils and dirt or it will peel. Don't use alc based cleaners or it will peel. Do it in the warm temps with warm can or it looks like crap. Shake the cans as long as it really says or it comes out looking frizzy. practice on something 1st actuality and the more coats you use the easier it is to cleanup/remove later on. If you decide to use paint clear coat instead of glossifier then it's pretty much hard to remove like paint.

Well I've been doing some searching and looking at the things in my car I want to fix up.

I'll probably start with a Momo Steering wheel I picked up that's beat to hell. I got it on ebay and it looked better in the pictures. Then I will do my summer rims because they have some peeling them. For the interior I'll test on the top piece of the cup holder tray, not the slider, but the outer frame. If that turns out I will move on probably do the silver trim pieces and then the silver trim on the doors.

I'll update as I go along too.

Another trick with plastidip is to get a pan and fill with hot water. ~5 minutes before you spray your next coat place the can into the pan and give it a hot water bath. Make sure your water is below the cap line :).

I typically fill it 75% with hot tap water then boil some water in the microwave to up the temp.

Your plasti dip will lay much nicer, especially the last few coats before the can runs out.

Archived